-chapter 1-

ok so this is a more fantastical type of story and its like a twisted version of alice in wonderland in a way i guess....  i hope you kind of like it.. or at least dont hate it? ok ill stop talking

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'''

I cupped my hands to my mouth and blew hot air into them.  Then I rubbed them together quickly, trying to generate some warmth, while hopping from one leg to the other. I mumbled grumpily into my hands, “Where the heck are you?” That was when I saw a figure coming towards me and I perked up a little. Practically running to me was the love of my life.  The only problem was he didn’t know that.

          Yet.

          His warm arms wrapped around me and I instantly felt better.  I hugged him back letting his warmth envelope me and looked up into his eyes.  They were filled with swirls of blue and green.  Round and round, they swam around his pupils, never mixing together.  I could, along with almost everyone else in the world, stare at them for forever. Giving him my best pouty face I scold, “You’re late! If I die from hypothermia it’s all your fault, Zane!” 

          He gave me one of his irresistible grins, “I’m sorry but I couldn’t find SOMEBODY’S present.”  He dangled a tiny bag in front of my face but swiftly took it back before I could grab it.  A huge, excited smile replaced my false pout.  I wonder what it could be! I’m dying to open it now.

          “Happy birthday, Alice!”

          “And seventh friendaversary!”  I reminded him while smirking.  We started walking towards our favorite café, arms linked. 

          “Seven years already!” He exclaimed exasperated as he slapped a hand onto his cheek with eyes widened. “Can you believe we became best friends over a silly cupcake?”

          “Well we weren’t actually friends to begin with.” I corrected, waggling my eyebrow.  I looked up into the sky like I was trying to remember something. “If I recall correctly, a certain somebody bullied me into giving up my cupcake.”  He looked away from me but not before I caught a glimpse of his embarrassed blush.  I giggled as he began to protest.  He was so adorable sometimes.

          “But I gave you back half of it when I found out it was really your birthday!  And just think if I hadn’t we wouldn’t be here today!”  We entered the café and slipped into our booth.  We’ve always had this booth every time we come here.  It really is our booth.  If you look under the table you’ll see a carving with our initials. Zane did it while the employees weren’t looking with his Swiss army knife.  I got to keep a lookout and I was so afraid of getting caught. But over the years no one has noticed or fixed it.  It was one of my fondest memories of us. 

          I laughed and said teasingly, “But then I would have still gotten all of my birthday cupcake!”

          “Well would you rather have a stupid little old cupcake or…”  He whipped out a small box from the bag. “This.”  He opened it up and revealed a necklace.  It was looped with a delicate silver chain and a sapphire stone sat in the center glistening.  The stone itself was beautiful enough but wrapped around it was a silver ivy vine.  It enveloped the outer part of the stone while random leaves poked out along the edges. I gasped in surprise and Zane gave a pleased and proud smile. “I knew you’d like it!”