Chapter 1

Michael sat, body leaning against the wall of his home. The room spun as did everything else when he got high. He couldn't explain that feeling. The feeling he got as he snorted the fine, white powder from the bathroom counter. Crystal Meth wasn't that hard to come by these days. Deadly shit if you took too much of it; a lesson that he was constantly forgetting. He fought to keep his eyes open as the darkness consumed him. This was the third time this week, and probably wouldn't be his last if he survived it. There was too much he needed to forget; too much he had to push away in order to feel happy again. To feel whole again was a dream long forgotten. Girlfriend killed in a hit-and-run, mother murdered by his now imprisoned bastard of a father.

            As he slowly slumped to the ground he heard his sister's screams. Gentle hands grabbed at his face, hoping she wasn't too late. Tears hit his arms, and the last thing he hears are the sirens in the distance. Then nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He heard his name. "Michael, if you can hear me, open your eyes". He felt hands touching his arms. He opened his eyes, jerking away from the hands, fighting to sit up. "Don't touch me!" The room was a bright white......too bright. It hurt his eyes and made them water, blurring the images of the people around him. Quickly he snapped his eyes closed, refusing to open them again since the light and bright walls were too much to take in. He felt more than one set of hands push him back down on the uncomfortable bed. "If you don't relax we're going to have to strap you down". Reluctantly, he allowed himself to be pressed back into the mattress. Footsteps shuffled about getting further away before he heard the tell-tale 'click' of the door opening, then closing again. He was alone again; sighing in relief, he thought about trying to open his eyes again. Hands gently touched his wrist, but it was enough to make his heart rate to jump, setting the heart monitor off. "Relax, it's just me. Michael, this is the third time this week I've seen you in here. You can't keep doing this". Michael slowly opened his eyes, letting them adjust to the brightness. Dr. Sawyer continued to check Michael's arms for any sign of needle marks; signs that would indicate that Michael was injecting drugs into his body. Dr. Sawyer's hands were cool, but not unpleasant, and they weren't covered in latex gloves. At least that was a plus; Michael felt like less of a pathetic freak that way. It meant could be touched without being in danger of contaminating others. Whoop-de-do. Michael rolled his eyes but refused to look away; he wouldn't back down from anyone.

            Dr. Sawyer sat on a stool and slid closer to the patient's bed. Sticking the stethoscope in his ears, he placed the cold metal on Michael's chest. "Breathe in". The doctor's voice was calm and steady. His dark, chestnut colored hair fell neatly over one eye. His eyes, such a deep green, sparkled with understanding. After having Michael breathe in and out a few times, Dr. Sawyer put his stethoscope back around his neck. Michael looked at the monitors next to his bed and raised an eyebrow at the doctor. Shrugging, Dr. Sawyer simply stated "It's been off recently. We have to have it fixed and there weren't any others we could give you. It's close enough half the time though". The two sat in silence for a few minutes before the doctor stood up once more and grabbed Michael's chart. "Michael. I've seen you three times now since I've arrived, and it's my understanding that you've been brought in several times before that?" It was a fact, but it seemed kinder to say it as a question. Looking into Michael's eyes reaffirmed the truth. Dr. Sawyer sighed and looked back down at the chart. "I can't release you again, can I?" He looked up briefly, and was answered when Michael avoided his gaze. Another heavy sigh escaped the Doctor's lips. "I'm putting you under medical house arrest".