The Lego Movie - Review

Stereotypes were very prominent back in the day, but they are less so today... with a few exceptions. Being special isn't something you are born with, you have to become special by all available means, but that doesn't mean you do stupid things. You just need to focus on what you can do and eventually, you'll become special. Being special is only important when you make it so! That's what I think about The LEGO Movie.

Emmet Brickovski is just the average guy who tries to live his life to the fullest... through the instructions. After finishing work, he tries to join his "buddies", he notices a mysterious woman and tries to follow her, only to fall into a big hole, finding a brick upon waking up. Upon touching it, he experiences vivid visions and passes out again, waking up in the custody of Good Cop/Bad Cop. The mysterious woman, Wyldstyle, rescues Emmet and takes him to a blind wizard named Vitruvius. Emmet learns Wyldstyle and Vitruvius are "Master Builders", capable of building anything without instructions, though he himself is not a Master Builder, to Wyldstyle's disappointment. Ambushed by Bad Cop's forces, Emmet, Wyldstyle and Vitruvius escape to Cloud Cuckoo Land, a hidden realm governed by Princess Unikitty. Bad Cop's forces invade the realm (thanks to a tracker planted on Emmet), capturing most Master Builders, except Emmet, Wyldstyle, Vitruvius, Batman, spaceman Benny, Unikitty and pirate MetalBeard, who escape in a (cobbled-together) submarine. Although still unsure of his worth, will Emmet save the from ultimate perfection?

I had LEGO as kid (sometimes copycats) as a child and this film does a great job of capturing its creativity and wit. It's fun to watch, hilarious in all the right ways and one of the most original animated blockbusters anyone has constructed in a long time. It's an animated treat for all that expands on the world of LEGO, creating a universe full of imagination and surprise. It may be a one hundred minute commercial, but it's a one hundred minute commercial done right! You must watch this if you like LEGO or just building in general.