Ch 3- The Royal

For extra money during the weekdays, I work at a popular technology and mechanics shop on the border of the sector city. For the most part, I clean, but as I've gotten older I have been helping fix the various devices and vehicles that find their way to Mr. Mekenie's shop. Edward Mekenie isn't the typical grease monkey you would envision of a mechanic. The old man is short, slender, with large circular glasses. Very well kept, always clean, and probably the smartest man I know. Before opening his shop, Mr Mekenie worked for the Royal Planetary Governance engineering department. He loved his position, but apparently he didn't have the opportunity to work with his hands as much as he'd like.

The guy is obsessed with puzzles. His living quarters above the shop is littered with all different sorts- jigsaw, holoprojection, immersive, etc. The weathered genius always tells me that a broken device is nothing but a puzzle with one of its pieces damaged. All we have to do is find that damaged piece, and replace it with a new one. Even my interview consisted of me attempting to solve a three dimensional puzzle. I failed, which is probably why I have a broom in my hand more often than a wrench.

For the most part, Mr. Mekenie fixes shuttles, drills, or haulers used by the local mining clan, but on rare occasions we get different sorts of technology like synaptic simulators or mech prosthetics. Today, we have a pair of booster heals from a Governance Royal that is visiting a nearby sector city. The booster heels are small box like devices that sit behind the heel and wraps around the lower shin to the midfoot. They eject a sharp burst of energy, propelling you in the opposite direction. I've only ever seen video of them on Governance Soldiers before today. Unfortunately, Mr. Mekenie only lets me watch the repair. He has been high strung ever since Royal Planetary Governance ships arrived 2 day ago. There can be no mistakes for a Governance Royal.

"How do we know they work if you don't let me try them?" I pick up one of the small box like devices and toss it from hand to hand. Lighter than I expected.

"Stop that." Mr. Mekenie swipes the device out of my hands, inspecting it to make sure I didn't damage or mark it. His eyes appear larger through the magnification software programed into his circular glasses. "I know it works because I fix it." Mr. Mekenie pushes a broom handle into my hands. "I don't pay you to test my devices, I pay you to clean." Yet I'm always the one who tests the drills and haulers to make sure they don't blow up when they start.

Hours later, the Governance Royal comes by to see Mr. Mekenie. The man is not at all what I expected. When I envision a Governance Royal, I picture a man of high prestige wearing extravagant clothing and expensive jewelry. A man that drips condescension and contemptment. That is not the case for the man who steps out of the taxi shuttle. He arrives wearing black camouflage pilot coveralls, military boots, and an authentic smile stretching the width of his face. The Royal is tall, appears athletic, and though he is not overly attractive, his genuine facial expressions make him handsome.

Joshua, a mechanic that works strictly on shuttles and haulers, greets the Royal with a large hug of familiarity. I didn't know Joshua knew a Royal. Mr. Mekenie greets the man with a handshake, but the Royal grabs his hands and pulls him into a hug. Mr. Mekenie just smiles and hugs back. The three walk past me into Mr. Mekenie's office.

It's late into the afternoon by the time they come out. I finished cleaning hours ago but stayed after to work on an old broken down cruiser shuttle I am trying to rebuild. Joshua hugs the Royal as he walks to his small cruiser. He yells a goodbye to me before he hops in and takes off. It's only then the Royal notices me. The man looks to Mr. Mekenie and points at me. Mr. Mekenie nods, and they walk up the stairs to the living quarters without saying a word.

It is well into the night before I see the Royal come out of my bosses living quarters. The man sees me working on my low grade shuttle and walks over. After a stumble that went one step too many, I can tell he had a few drinks.