Chapter 3: Dumbledore's Speech and the Grim

Start from the beginning

The following day, Harry Ron and Hermione went down to the great hall to have breakfast. As they passed the Slytherin table, Malfoy pretends to faint in front of the Slytherins. Which made the Slytherins roar with laughter. Ron glares at the Slytherins as Hermione, who was behind Harry, said, "Ignore him. Just ignore him, it's not worth it." Snape glares at Malfoy from the staff table, then looks over at Harry and sighs, as he eats his breakfast. He'll have to continue to keep an eye on Malfoy and Harry. Harry drops into a seat at the Gryffindor table, along with Hermione. George said, "New third-year course schedules." As he passes them the schedules. George sees the expression on Harry's face and said, "What's up with you, Harry?" Ron said, "Malfoy." As he sit down next to George and glares over at the Slytherin table. George looks up in time to see Malfoy pretending to faint again. George said, "That little git. He wasn't so cocky last night when the dementors were down at our end of the train. Came running into our compartment, didn't he, Fred?" Fred said, "Nearly wet himself." As he looks with contempt at Malfoy. George said, "I wasn't too happy myself. They're horrible things, those dementors...." Fred said, "Sort of freezes your insides, don't they?" Harry said, in a low voice, "You didn't pass out, though, did you?" George said, bracingly, "Forget it, Harry. Dad had to go out to Azkaban one time, remember, Fred? He said it was the worst place he'd ever been. He came back all weak and shaking.... They suck the happiness right out of a place, those dementors. Most of the prisoners go mad in there." Fred adds, "Anyway, we'll see how happy Malfoy looks after our first Quidditch match. Gryffindor versus Slytherin, first game of the season, remember?" Harry nods in response. The only time he faced Malfoy in a Quidditch match, was last year. Slytherin lost, because he was too busy teasing Harry to see the snitch that was right by his head. Harry feels a bit more cheerful afterwards and helps himself to some sausage and some fried tomatoes. Hermione looks over her new schedule and said, happily, "Ooh, good, we're starting some new subjects today." Ron frowns as he looks at her schedule, "Hermione, they've messed up your schedule. Look, they've got you down for about ten subjects a day. There isn't enough time." Hermione said, "I'll manage. I've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall." Ron laughs as he said, "But look, see this morning? Nine o'clock, Divination, underneath that, nine o'clock, Muggle Studies and underneath that, Arithmancy, nine o'clock. I mean, I know you're good, Hermione, but no one's that good. How're you supposed to be in three classes at once?" Hermione said, "Don't be silly, of course I won't be in three classes at once." Ron said, "Well then...." Hermione cuts him off and said, "Pass the marmalade." Ron said, "But...." Hermione cuts him off once again as she snaps at him, "Oh, Ron, what's it to you if my schedule's a bit full? I told you, I've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall." As they ate, Hagrid walks into the hall. He pauses on the way to the staff table and said to Harry, Ron and Hermione, "All right? You're in my first ever lesson! Right after lunch! Been up since five getting everything ready. Hope it's okay. Me, a teacher, honestly." Hagrid grins broadly at them, then heads up to the staff table. Ron said, anxiously, "I wonder what he's been getting ready?"

The hall starts to empty as they finish eating breakfast. Ron checks his schedule and said, "We'd better go, look, Divination's at the top of North Tower. It'll take us ten minutes to get there." They finished their breakfast quickly and said good-bye to Fred and George. They walk back through the hall, towards the double doors. As they passed the Slytherin table once more, Malfoy pretends to fainting once again. The Slytherin's laugh as they leave the great hall. They walk through the castle looking for the North Tower. Two years at Hogwarts didn't teach them enough about the castle. Not to mention that they'd never been inside North Tower before. Ron pants as they reach the landing, after climbing 7 staircases, "There's got.... to.... be.... a.... shortcut." There was nothing on the landing, but a large painting of a stretch of grass hanging on the stone wall. Hermione looks down an empty passage to her right and said, "I think it's this way." Ron said, "It can't be, that's south. Look, you can see a bit of the lake out of the window." Harry was still looking at the painting. A fat gray pony walks onto the grass and  grazing starts grazing. Harry was used to the Hogwarts paintings moving around and leaving their frames to visit one another, but he always enjoyed watching it. A moment later, a short knight in a suit of armor, comes into view in the picture, chasing after his pony. By the look of the grass stains on his metal knees, he had just fallen off his horse. The knight spots them and shouts, "Ah ha! What villains are these, that trespass upon my private lands! Come to scorn at my fall, perchance? Draw, you knaves, you dogs!" They watch in amusement as the knight pulls his sword out and waves it violently at them from his frame. He hops up and down in rage, waving his sword around, but the sword was too long for him. A wild wave of his sword made him lose his balance. He falls face forward onto the grass. Harry said, "Are you alright?" The knight looks at them from where he laid and said, "Get back, you scurvy braggart! Back, you rogue!" He takes the sword and uses it to get back to his feet. Only for his sword to sink into the grass in the process. He tries with all his might to pull his sword out, but fails. He plops onto the grass and pushes up the visor of his helmet. He takes out a handkerchief and wipes the sweat off his face. Harry said, "Listen, we're looking for the North Tower. You don't know the way, do you?" The rage the knight had, completely vanishes as he climbs to his feet. He said, "A quest! Come follow me, dear friends! We shall find our goal, or else shall perish bravely in the charge!" He tries to pull his sword out of the ground once more, but gives up. He tries to mount his horse, but fails at that too. He said, "On foot then, good sirs and gentle lady! On! On!" He runs into the left frame and vanishes from sight, clanking loudly. They run after him, following the sound of his armor. They would spot him in a picture from time to time as they follow him. The knight said, as he appears in front of a group of shocked women, whose picture was hanging on the wall, by a spiral staircase, "Be of stout heart, the worst is yet to come!" Harry, Ron and Hermione run up the spiral staircase. At last, they start to hear quiet talking coming from above their heads. They knew that have finally made it to the divination classroom. The knight shouts, "Farewell!" As he pops his head into a painting of some sinister-looking monks, "Farewell, my comrades-in-arms! If ever you have need of a noble heart and steely sinew, call upon Sir Cadogan!" Ron mutters, as the knight disappears, "Yeah, we'll call you, if we ever need someone mental." They climb the spiral staircase until they reach a landing. The rest of the class were there, waiting. There wasn't any doors on the landing. Ron who had looked up nudges Harry and points at the ceiling. Harry looks up and sees a round trap door with a plaque on it that read: Sibyll Trelawney, Divination Teacher. Harry reads the plaque and said, "How're we supposed to get up there?" As if an answer to his question, the trap door opens and a silvery-looking ladder, lowers down to Harry's feet. Everyone goes quiet as Ron grins, "After you." Harry rolls his eyes and climbs the ladder first.