Chapter 1: A King's Duty

Start from the beginning

"My cubs needed to eat. His herd is three times as big as any others. They eat all the other herds' grass because there are so many." The cheetah tried to growl but her pain was too much. Both cubs tried to lick her wound and comfort her.

"No one hunts from my herd. Every buffalo here belongs to me! Anyone touches my property dies!" Kanda and the others saw a certain weariness and fear in many of the buffalos towards Gage, particularly the cows.

Gael carefully looked up at a nearby tree. A white owl sat in the tree and watched the entire ordeal.

Gael gave her a nod and the owl quickly flew off.

Kanda got between the cubs and Gage.

"Well as much as I admire a brave leader for protecting his pack, your little vendetta has to end here. You've entered the Kingdom of the Tree of Life."

"And?" Gage huffed.

"And, Queen Rani has decreed that her kingdom is a place of healing. Meaning you can't come here to hurt anyone else."

Gage shook his head.

"I'm the master of my herd. I do what I want! Your Queen can be trampled for all I care!"

The cheetahs nearly passed out in fear but the lions smiled.

"I'd be careful what you say. Our King and his Guard are very devoted to protecting the Kingdom." Kanda said in an eager fashion.

Gage huffed again and lowered his horns at the lioness.

"That's it, you're going to meet my horns now too. I don't see a King anywhere!"

"How unbungalievable that you'd say that at this moment." Gage and the other buffalo heard a distinct and almost grading voice.

The cheetah and her cubs looked up with the buffalo at six new animals who stood on the rocks over them. Among them was a young adult, female cheetah with green eyes. The second was a young-adult male hippo with blue eyes. A large female eagle with purple feathers and blue eyes. An Egret bird with black eyes. A young-adult honey badger with dark-blue eyes.

In front of the other was a young adult male lion. His fur was a more yellowish-tan unlike the other lions and his mane was a deep red. The mane was almost fully grown in around his head. His eyes were a light brown with a notable scar over his left eye, though it did not reach his actual eyeball.

The lion also had a light blue marking atop his forehead.

Each of these animals bore a marking one shoulder. The marking was of a lion's head done up to appear as a tree, or perhaps the other way around.

All six had either determined or disciplined expressions. Save the honey badger, who smiled with determination.

None appeared more vehement in their resolve than the lion who bore his fangs and let out a pounding growl.

"This is the Kingdom of the Tree of Life. Whatever your qualms are with this cheetah, they end here. Unless you require healing or intend to enter with peace, turn back, now!"

The sheer presence of the lion was enough to make several buffalo back up.

"Who do you think you are talking to the master of this herd, like that! I do what I please!"

The lion narrowed his eyes and took a more aggressive stance.

"I am Kion, King consort of the Tree of Life, son of King Simba of Pride Rock! These lands are under my protection!"

"So unless you want to feel the unmatched fury of the Lion Guard. You'd best get moving." The cheetah growled with an all too confident smile.

Gage huffed.