Chapter 13: Hagrid and Aragog

Start from the beginning

Everyone in the common room starts talking to one another, wondering who it was, that was causing the attacks. Harry whispers to Ron, "We've got to talk to Hagrid, Ron. I can't believe it's him, but if he did set the monster loose last time, he'll know how to get inside the Chamber of Secrets. That's a start." Ron whispers back, "But you heard McGonagall. We're not allowed to leave the tower except for class." Harry said, "I think it's time to get my dad's old cloak out again." That night, they changed into their clothes. Harry takes the invisibility cloak out of his trunk and puts it around Ron and himself. Harry said, "Ready?" Ron said, "Yeah." The sneak out of the common room and head downstairs, being careful to avoid the teachers, prefects and Filch. They manage to get outside and head down to Hagrid's hut. The go up to the door and knock. Hagrid opens the door and points the crossbow, not realizing that he was pointing it at Harry and Ron. Hagrid said, "Hello?" Harry removes the cloak revealing himself and Ron. Hagrid relaxes upon seeing them Harry said wide-eyed, "What's that for?" Hagrid lowers the crossbow and said, "Oh Nothing. I was expecting um.... Well, it doesn't matter now. Come on in. I just made a pot of tea." They immediately noticed how nervous he was as he pours tea into the cups. He was distracted, since the tea ended up overflowing from the cup. Harry said, "Hagrid, are you ok?" Hagrid said, "I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm alright." He sees the cup overflowing and quickly stops pouring. Harry said, "Did you hear about Hermione?" Hagrid said, "Oh yeah. I heard about that alright." Harry knew he had to ask him. So he said, "Look, we have to ask you something. Do you know who's opened the Chamber of Secrets?" Hagrid sighs and said, "What you have to understand about that is...." Before he could finish, a knock was heard at his door. Fang barks at the door. Hagrid said, "Quick! Under the cloak! Don't say a word. Be quiet, both of you." Once they were hidden, Hagrid goes and opens the door, his crossbow held at the ready. There at the door was Dumbledore and a wizard wearing a bowler hat. Hagrid quickly lowers his crossbow as he said, "Professor Dumbledore, sir." Dumbledore said, "Good evening, Hagrid. I wonder, could we?" Hagrid said as he steps aside, "Of course. Come in, come in." Dumbledore and the wizard enter the hut. Ron recognized him immediately. He whispers, "That's dad's boss. Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic." Fudge said, "Bad business, Hagrid. Very bad business. Had to come. 3 attacks on muggle-borns. Things have gone far enough. The Ministry's got to act." Hagrid said, "But I never! You know I never, Professor." Dumbledore said, "I want it understood, Cornelius, that Hagrid has my full confidence." Fudge said, "Albus, look, Hagrid's record is against him. I've got to take him." Hagrid said, "Take me? Take me where? Not Azkaban Prison!" Fudge said, "I'm afraid we have no choice, Hagrid." The door opens to reveal Lucius Malfoy. Lucius steps into the hut and said, "Already here Fudge? Good." Hagrid said, "What are you doing here? Get out of my house!" Lucius said, "Believe me, I take absolutely no pleasure being inside your...." Lucius pauses, then sneers, "You call this as house?" Lucius continues, "No, I simply called up at the school and was told the Headmaster was here." Dumbledore said, "What exactly is it that you want with me?" Lucius said, "The other governors and I have decided that it's time for you to step aside." Lucius gives Dumbledore a scroll and said, "This is an order of suspension. You'll find all 12 signatures on it. I'm afraid we feel that you've rather lost your touch." Lucius turns away and smirks as he said, "What with all these attacks, there will be no muggle-borns left at Hogwarts. I can only imagine what an awful loss that would be." Hagrid said angrily, "You can't take Professor Dumbledore away! Take him away and the muggle-borns won't stand a chance! You mark my words! They will be killings next!" Lucius said, "You think so?" Dumbledore said, "Calm yourself, Hagrid." Dumbledore looks at Lucius and said, "If the governors desire my removal. I will, of course, step aside. However, you will find that help will always be given at Hogwarts, to those who ask for it." Dumbledore's eyes went from Lucius to Harry. Harry looks back from his hiding spot with wide eyes. Can Dumbledore see through his cloak? Lucius said, "Admirable sentiments. Shall we?" Dumbledore looks at Harry once more, before allowing himself to be escorted out by Lucius. Lucius nods to Fudge, "Fudge." Fudge nods back. Lucius leaves with Dumbledore. Fudge said, "Come Hagrid." Hagrid said as he glances at where Harry and Ron were hidden under the cloak, "If .... If anybody was looking for some stuff, that all they'd have to do would be to follow the spiders. Yep, That would lead them right. That's all I have to say. Oh, and someone will need to feed Fang while I'm away." Fudge said to Fang, as he escorts Hagrid out of his hut, "Good boy."