Five

My dad was hooked up to so many tubes it was ridiculous. There was a tube down his throat and one in each arm and one on his leg and one on his hand... and you get the picture. His once golden autumn glow was now a dull gray. His brown afro was flat and his brown skin had lost it pallor and was now pale. His wings were shredded. The doctors said he'd never fly again, if he made it.

I was the only one there. My mom and sister hadn't been reached. Only I knew my dad was possibly on his deathbed. "Daddy, wake up." He hadn't moved once since I'd been here. The scraps that had once been his wings even stopped working. "Wake up!" My body shook with sobs as I cried yet again. Why me? Why not a pixie?
I was alone for all of 5 minutes before someone darkened the door.

"May I come in?" That deep animalistic voice sent chills up my spine. How had he known where I was? "I'll come out there." Deryn had already expressed his hatred for fairies, I wasn't letting him anywhere near my injured father. "What're you doing here?" My tone was rude but it didn't matter.
"I was worried about you."
"That's a load of pixie dust." My savage remark had him reeling. "It's true." His eyes told me he was lying. "No it's not, just go away, you've ruined my day enough." Deryn stood his ground. Alphas didn't like being told what to do. Well he was going to have to learn how to accept it. "Go home, I'll see you tomorrow, goodbye." He didn't budge.
What was his problem?
"You can't stay here." At that moment my mother showed up. "Thank the fairy godmother, mom he's not doing so well." My mom's attention went straight to Deryn, the large boy standing in the middle of the doorway. "This is Deryn Adalwolf, he's my soulmate and now he's leaving." I tried to talk as fast as possible but my mom heard every word. "You found your soulmate that's magnificent, I'm Wisteria Ravensage, nice to meet you." Deryn was taken by surprise when my mom pulled him in for a hug. "At least one good thing came out of today." My mother didn't know how wrong she was. "Now if you two will excuse me." Mom closed the hospital room door behind her. It was probably her way of giving us some privacy. "You can leave now, my mom is here." Deryn shook his head. "You need me here and I'm trying to be a better soulmate." He had already botched that up. "But you-" "Ellie!" Hazel nearly tackled me to the ground. "How's daddy?" What could you tell your eight year old sister when her father was dying. "Who let you out of school?" My question was answered when Columbine and Jake came flying down the hall. "Word gets around fast, we picked up Hazel, and why are you dressed like that?" Columbine noticed Deryn and paused, forgetting my hideous outfit. "What's he doing here?" Hazel looked up at Deryn. "Who are you?" Her arms around my waist tightened. "I'm Deryn, Aurelia's soulmate." He said as if addressing a crowd of idiots. "And he was just leaving." He leaned forward and kissed my forehead. An electric shock of warmth went through my body. Seeing how his eyes widened he had felt it as well. "Goodbye Aurelia." He left, finally. "I don't like him." Hazel announced. "Neither do I." Jake agreed. Columbine nodded her assent. "I'm sorry, but I can't pick my soulmate." I told them all. Maybe fate had messed up.
----
My dad had stayed out through the night. At around ten mom had sent Hazel and me home. Columbine and Jake went home too. We all had school the next day and my job was to get Hazel to school on time.

"Hazel are you ready for school, yet?" I shouted from downstairs. Lightning struck outside the window. I found Hazel in her bathroom crying her eyes out. "Don't cry, it's gonna be alright." Hazel sniffled. "But what if daddy's not okay?" I ran my fingers through her tangled mess of hair. "He'll be fine, he's the strongest fairy I know." Hazel wiped her eyes. "Okay." I checked the clock in the hall outside the bathroom. We were gonna be late. "How about we stay home today and watch movies?" Hazel's eyes lit up. "Can we?" Mom would understand, eventually. "Sure." Hazel jumped up and down excitedly. "You're the best sister ever." I threw my hair over my shoulder dramatically. "I know." Hazel laughed. "Let's put our pajamas back on and I'll make the popcorn and you choose the movie, oh and turn off your phone..."
I was glad that Hazel had stopped crying, I just really hoped she stopped talking soon. "...And blankets, we need blankets..." Slowly I tiptoed backwards into my room. "I'll start the popcorn." Hazel took off. She flew fast and she didn't even know how to use extreme wings. Maybe it was the excitement. To spare my ego, I blamed the excitement. "Hazel we're watching Mean Fairies." Hazel was too focused on the popcorn to answer. I gathered the blankets and switched my phone to silent. Hazel came in with a humongous bowl of popcorn. "What are you feeding, a werewolf pack?" We both laughed as she brought the monster sized bowl of popcorn over and we got comfortable. Using my wand I put the movie in and pressed play. "Not Mean Fairies..." Hazel whined. "This movie is fetch." My sister groaned. "Stop trying to make fetch happen." I shushed her as the movie started.

My phone's screen lit up at my favorite part. Where r u -Deryn. How did he get my number? I ignored the text and continued to watch the movie. My phone lit up again. Answer me. Ignore. Hazel laughed at a radio hitting a boy in his face just as my phone vibrated. I thought it was on silent. Did that only apply to texts? Deryn's number showed on the screen. "You were supposed to turn it off." Hazel complained. "I know, I'll ignore it." I hit the ignore button. "See." The screen lit up again. Y didn't u answer the phone? Why couldn't he just leave me alone, he hated me for pixie's sake. I didn't respond and that was the last text. Near the end of the movie the doorbell rang. "Maybe it's pizza." Hazel said. "You ordered pizza?" "Nope." I shook my head. "It better not be pizza, we still haven't finished the popcorn." Hazel followed me to the door. Through the window my eyes spotted my angry soulmate. Why fairy godmother must you torment me? "Is that Deryn?" I opened the door and Deryn stormed in. "The one and only, kid." He said in response to my sister. "What're you doing here and how did you know where I lived?" The whole stalker soulmate thing was real creepy. "When I saw you weren't at school I assumed the worst and so I got your fairy friend to give me your number, then I texted you and you didn't respond, then I called you and you sent me to voicemail." He was huffing. "What do you want?" Apparently he didn't understand the concept of hate, it meant he avoided me at all cost. "How're your wings, can you fly today?" He remembered my wings. A pang went off in my chest. "They're fine, thanks for asking." He wasn't done. "Then why weren't you at school?" Why wasn't he at school? "Hazel doesn't feel well." Hazel fake coughed. The doorbell rang again. Deryn opened the door. "Delivery for Hazel Ravensage." Hazel grabbed the pizza. "He'll pay." She flew away with the pizza in her hands. "I told you no pizza!" Deryn paid the pizza guy then slammed the door. "You lied to me." I didn't want to bring up how he'd lied to me as well. Where was that girlfriend of his? "Did you come here to yell at me?" He paused. "If you did can you do it after this inception movie? My human friends say it's really confusing and good and you might take forever with your little tirade." Deryn visibly calmed himself down. "I can't stay, I have a pack meeting, see you at school tomorrow." I shrugged. "Maybe." He roughly pulled open the front door. "No goodbye kiss?" Deryn quickly planted a kiss on my cheek. The same electricity from the day before went through my body. Deryn jumped back as if he'd had his tail pulled. "Goodbye." I closed the door behind him. What if he kissed my lips? My fingers involuntarily went to my lips. Magical. It would definitely be magical.