~1.~

Doris hopped down the second story landing, letting out a small "oof" as she took the impact of hitting the floor. What could she say? Taking the stairs were simply boring. She grabbed her messenger bag hanging on the wrought iron coat hanger, and walked out into the chilly London air. Her name is Doris Ruth Clipton, and she is here to hunt some supernatural creatures.

Doris kept to the shadows of the foggy streets, lurking in the alleyways. Her goal today was to find a medium Okean rate creature, called an Uku. Okeans were the measurable amount of energy that a creatures death could generate in the lab. Uku's weren't necessarily rare, but you didn't come across them everyday. Doris shuddered against the cold air. Why couldn't Uncle come out and do this himself? Oh wait. He is quite literally crazy. 

She made her way over to the decrepit house that her uncle had marked on the map. It was in one of the neighborhoods that had been hit by the blitz, and Doris could feel the presence of spirits behind the Veil. She took out her binoculars from her bag, and clambered up into one of the rafters of a nearby house. As she took in her target's current abode, she noticed a small shadow was slipping in and through the Veil. Doris let out a small hiss of displeasure, and immediately regretted it. The shadow was now making its way towards her.

She slipped down the side of the house, not caring about the shingles she was tearing off in her decent. Quickly, she took off across the cobblestone street dodging around rubble. Eventually She had made it to the back of the house she was targeting. It paid off to know your whereabouts beforehand. However, the shadow had still managed to keep track of her.

In a split decision, she decided to take her chances and slipped into the rotting old house.

The gray floorboards barely creaked as her leather slippers warily made their way to the middle of the house. The Uku was in here somewhere, because she could feel it's oily presence. It was almost undetectable, but every creature let off a chemical that makes its victims feel a specific emotion, so that the creature was able to blind it's victim in a way that the creature could eat them. The Uku always let out dopamine, and the joy that Doris could feel was not welcomed. It always was a benefit to be a cynic anyways. A small slithering sound arose from her left, and Doris whirled around. She took out her hunting knife from the bag, and brandished it against the darkness.

She could hear the Uku slowly slithering closer. It helped that this creature was blind, and relied on smell, like a mole. But unfortunately, it could turn itself invisible due to its connection with the Veil, and that was not something that Doris appreciated. The slithering grew closer.

1...2...3...Now! Doris jumped to the side as she felt a whisper of air brush her ankles. She twirled her knife around, and it wrapped itself in the Veil. Pulling her knife away, it was covered in a substance, like foggy spiderwebs.

She whirled around to where she approximately thought the Uku was. She ran towards a seemingly random spot on the floor, and stabbed down. Her knife made contact with the Uku, and she Willed the Veil into the it. As it died, it slowly became more visible. She stared at the snake-like creature, and flicked away remnants of the Veil that stuck to her knife. It drifted away, as if riding an invisible wind. Kneeling on the floor, she cut out its eyes- they would be important in some of the potions that Uncle made in the Alchemy Lab. She then picked up the Uku's corpse and stuffed it's noodle-like body into her messenger bag.

As she put her knife and binoculars in the bag as well, a hot breathe huffed into her ear. Doris bared her teeth and started to walk out of the door and into the cobblestone streets. The shadow followed her. It chuckled lowly and darted out in front of her. She slammed on her heels and turned around the other way. The Uku's blood was dripping out of her messenger bag and onto her navy skirt. Needless to say, the adrenaline from the hunt  was wearing off and she was not in a good mood.