Chapter 1

I have nothing to do. I did all my work already. It was easy because of my photographic memory. I remember everything since I was a baby. Because I did all my homework in class I don't have to take the final, so I am just sitting here staring at the clock. It is 8:00 right now and I am so bored. I have forty-five more minutes to sit here and play with my thumbs. We can't talk or get up and move around although no one would talk to me since I am a twelve-year-old high school senior. Having a photographic memory allows you to skip a few grades. Even though you are not happy about it. I would rather be a normal girl with a regular memory that hangs around other girls and gossips instead of being the girl with the photographic memory that girls gossip about.

     It is 8:15 now and people are starting to finish their tests, but we are still now allowed to move. I wish I thought to bring a book or something to read today, I knew it was finals day. There is nothing to do. What is even worst when you can't sit in peace and let yourself fall asleep because you constantly hear the voices of the other students, not there real voices but their mental voices. Ever since I fell and hit my head when I was five I could hear others thoughts. It really gets annoying especially when even head in the entire school is thinking more than usually about the tests they are taking. I just want to bang my head on the desk. So instead I turn my head and look out the window hoping to find a little peace but what I see surprises me. It's a boy. Well it looks like a boy. He is at the top a across from the window. He appears to be looking for something or someone. He gaze falls on mine and he smiles to himself. I turn my head back to the clasroom. Out of the corner of my eye I look back at the tree. The boy isn't there. Did I imagine that.

     Then all of the sudden the lights in the room and the hallway go out. My teacher goes over to the window and opens the blinds but the windows have been painted black. The kids are starting to freaking out now. They are frantically pulling out their cell phone to use the light to see what's going on. But their phones are not turning on. I am starting to get scared now. We all huddle in the corner of the room afraid of what is happening.

     A single light turns back on. It is directly over the door. We all grow anxious of the strange light and huddle closer together.

     A boy appears in the room. The same boy from outside. What's he doing here. Did he come for me. He has shaggy blond hair and periwinkle eyes. He wears a long black cloak that covers his whole body. Something seems familiar about this boy but I can't place it.

     He stands in the doorway scanning the blacken room as if he were searching for something or worst me. Our eyes meet. Relief fills his eyes. I don't know how he can see me in the dark room but he stares right at me. He then looks around at the other people in the room. He stands there frozen unsure of what to do. As if he sprang to life, he runs up to me. He grabs my hand and I scream. He looks back at me, hurt flashes in his eyes then he pulls me out of the room.

     "You probably don't know who I am but I am so glad I found you." The boy says when we get out in to the hall. He is pulling me down the hall.

     "What are you talking about!" I ask fear growing in every word. He stops pulling me and turns around to look at me.

     "So you really don't remember. I thought once you saw me you would get snippets of your memory back of me like you did before." He face turns sad and he looks to the floor.

     "What do you mean get my memories back. I have never lost them. I don't even know you." I say trying, but failing to pull my hand back.

     "Yes. You do know me or at least you did know me. I am Dex. Your best friend. Please you got to remember.  You can't let rebels destroy you like this." He pleads with me. His eyes grow watery. He is really starting to scare me. He could be some mental hospital escapee and could go crazy any minute. Or some stalker trying to take me.

     "What are you talking about? I don't know anyone by the name of Dex, and I surly would remember rebels trying to destroy me." I yank my hand away and start running back towards the classroom.

     "Sophie wait!" He calls after me. I stop. How does he know my name. I never told him my name.  Who is this boy. What does he want from me.  He is really creeping me out now now.

     I turn back around and stare at him. "How do you know my name? I never told you my name. Are you some creep who wants to kidnap me or use my photographic memory for your own personal gain?" I close my eyes and try listen to his thoughts but his head is silent. I can't hear anything. He is the first person I have ever met who's thoughts are silent. I am not sure if I should be scared by this or intrigued. So I stay where I am.

     "I know every thing about you. I know you remember everything from you were little. I know you constantly avoid people. You are afraid someone will come and get  you so you never open up to people. And you can read other people's thoughts." He says staring right into my eyes.

     "How do you know that." I ask shocked that he knows that. I have never told anyone that,  not even my mom and dad. How does this boy I have never met know more about than anyone else does.

     "I told you, I am you best friend. If you come with me I will explain everything but right now we have to go. People are starting to get suspicious." He says looking down the hall where my teacher is calling for help.

     He puts out his hand for me to take. I don't know what to do. He knows all my secrets, even the ones I have never spoken out loud. I need to know how he knows me. But what if he wants to hurt me. I hesitantly reach out my hand and place it in his. He wraps his fingers around my hand and pulls me down the hall.

     I can foot steps running after us. I look back and see that it is my teacher and four other male teachers. They are trying to save me. If I didn't need to know who this boy really is, I would let them catch us. Instead I turn back around and keep running.

     We run down the stairs and out the back doors of the school. We stop just pass the first house across the street. I am winded and out of breath, but this boy seems perfectly fine.

     "How...come...you aren't... out of breath?" I manage to get out between breaths. He smiles to himself and then reaches into pocket down by his ankle and pulls out what appears to be a bracelet with a blue jewel in the center.

     "It is kind of hard to explain right now." He says and places the bracelet around my wrist. He turns my wrist over to make sure the bracelet is on correctly and let's go of my arm.

     "What is this?" I ask as he pulls out a single facet crystal on a chain and holds in up to the light. A beam of light shines on the ground.

     "It is a nexus. It will allow you to stay in one piece when we light leap to back to our world and before you can ask this is a home crystal. " He grabs my hand again.

     "Light leap? Our world?" I question. I am beginning to think it was a bad idea to come with him.

     "It will take a long time to explain. Do you trust me?" He says staring right at me. For some strange reason I believe I do trust him. A boy I had just met and know very little about but I do trust him. I nod my head in agreement and he pulls me into the light and I let the light take me a way.