The best thing that has ever been mine

Start from the beginning

"You're such a smartass," Taylor whispers.

"You love my ass."

"Unfortunately, I do."

"'Unfortunately'?!" Karlie exclaims. "What does that mean?"

Taylor shakes her head, her exasperation clear but her eyes too filled with fondness for it to have any real sort of effect and they stare at each other for a bit in a peaceful sort of lull.

Taylor sighs softly and she closes her eyes for a moment, basking in the tranquility of the moment. "I love you."

Karlie completely melts at that, pressing her face further into her pillow so that Taylor can only see the twitch of her lips as her smile widens.

"I love you too," she finally mumbles.

"Good," Taylor says with a decisive nod.

"You saying good night?"

"Mhm-hm, my bath is turning cold."

"Alright. I will see you tomorrow, I'll be waiting for you at home as soon as you're done."

"I can't wait," Taylor says.

Karlie picks up her phone and shifts onto her back, holding the phone over herself in such a way that Taylor just knows she's going to accidentally drop it on her face.

"Good night," Taylor says smiling fondly at her fiancée.

"Oh, wait hang on—"

"Karlie, I'm cold," she says with a soft whine.

"I love you, you're gonna be amazing tomorrow," Karlie says softly, her face open and sincere, and Taylor completely mellows, a comforting feeling settling low in her stomach. "Good night, baby."

She blows a kiss to the screen and Taylor's about to say something when the video feed turns shaky and she hears a loud "Ow!" and all she can see is darkness for a brief few moments before Karlie plucks the phone from her face.

"For the sake of your beautiful face, good night," Taylor says around a laugh and Karlie just grumbles a quick goodnight before ending the video call.

The following morning, Karlie's alarm goes off and Taylor groans at the loud sound. She doesn't move, too comfortable nestled in Karlie's arms, but Karlie isn't moving either, doesn't seem to have woken up and Taylor whines softly in protest.

"Karlie..." Taylor croaks out, but she receives no response. A quick, sharp nudge also goes unnoticed so Taylor groans loudly, hoping that will be enough to wake her and when it doesn't, she reluctantly pushes up from the bed.

Shifting over, Taylor whines again when she sees that Karlie's phone is almost at the outside edge of her nightstand and that she won't be able to reach it, so she finally pushes the sheets away, frowning as she stretches over Karlie's body and struggles to turn off her alarm.

"This is a nice view," Karlie murmurs sleepily, eyes blinking slowly and Taylor glares down at her in response. Karlie reaches out and wraps her arms around Taylor's bare back firmly and Karlie grins. "What a wake-up."

"I wanted to sleep in today," Taylor grumbles in annoyance, not having gotten home to their Beverly Hills house until the early hours of the morning after the show, but she still lets Karlie pull her closer, shifting until their bodies are pressed together, Karlie's lips kissing along the column of her neck.

"I'm sorry, I forgot to turn it off yesterday," Karlie says without an ounce of regret in her tone as she nips at Taylor's skin.

"You know that I love you, but you're really testing the limits of that," Taylor mumbles into her pillow as she shifts off Karlie and settling beside her hoping to go back to sleep.