Blooded

I opened the car door and the warm Texas breeze hit me. It was so warm here, even for the night. 

    I had parked at the very end of the car park, and being pitch black, I could only see the little yellow light of the tiny gas station ahead. I made my way closer, the light being my only guide.

    When I opened the door, a little bell rang. Typical small town shops. Living in Clifton, Texas has its disadvantages. Inside the shop, it was smaller than it looked on the outside. A check-out counter and a few shelves was all I could see in front of me. Well, that was all if you didn’t count the really cute, gorgeous guy behind the counter.

    He was tall and muscular and had brown hair and really bright blue eyes. I walked pasted him, throwing him a small smile

     I stood in front of the fridge, looking for, well nothing in particular really. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I knew who it was before I turned around. I could smell him.

    “Can I help you?” the boy from behind the counter said. “I’m Riley”. So, what you looking for?”

    “I‘m Lexii and I just wanted to pay for the petrol.” “Which car?” Riley asked. He looked out the window. “The only car out there I guess,” he said laughing. “That’s some car,” he said, suddenly realising what type it was. “Oh, I got it as a present, off of my, um, brother, its nothing much.”

    “Your brother?” he asked. “Am, yes. Justin Taylor. He goes to the college on the outskirts of the town.” “United Park University?” he asked. “Yes,” I said, “That’s the name of it.” “I go to that college,” he said, shocked, “I know him, he is in the same business course as me.”

    “Cool, I just moved in with him.” I said. “My parents died, during the summer, so I was sent off here until I’m eighteen.” “Oh god, I’m really sorry,” Riley exclaimed.

    He took my hand. He was too warm, I could feel the blood flowing around beneath his skin. I looked at it and pulled it away. “So where about do you live?“ I asked nervously.

    “I live about 5 minutes up the road,” Riley said pointing to my left. “Cool, so your not that far away I guess?” I replied. “Here is your receipt.” “Thanks, see you around I guess,” I said, turning. I put the receipt in my pocket and walked out of the shop, the little bell tinkling as I went.

    It was raining lightly when I came out. Strange. It was so warm when I was going in and it usually never rained in Texas. You could hear my heels click on the pavement as I walked back to the car, which was invisible in the dark. I opened the car door and bundled myself in.

    In the car, I looked at my receipt, wondering why he gave me one, since I didn’t pay. I looked down at the little piece of paper, which contained no sign of any record of purchase, just a phone number, and scribbly hand-writing that said “call me.”

    Leaving the car park, I passed the shop window. I saw Riley looking out the window so I waved at him. He smiled and I saw him making the “call me” sign with his fingers. I smiled back and giggled to myself. I predicted right there and then that this would not be the last time soon that I saw Riley.

    As I pulled up outside the house, I saw the lights on and a figure paced from left to right in front of the window. My brother, Justin.

    He gets very worried when I come home late. I drove the car into the garage. As, I was about to get out, he was standing at my door, holding it open with a glare on his face. “Where have you been?” Justin asked.

    “Justin, chill out” I said, “I only went out to get petrol. You think I can’t defend myself.” I rolled my eyes.

    “Sorry Lexii, it’s just that there is to many boys out at this time of night and you could get hurt.” He pulled me into a hug. “It drives me mad when you go out without telling me and I have not got one clue where you have gone.” “I never thought you were so, well, sensitive about my curse.” I said, hugging him tighter.

    I pulled back and smiled at him. He smiled back and took my hand and walked me into the house.

    My brother and I were really close. He has lived here the last 15 years and I haven’t seen him since he moved away. I guess I’ll be seeing him a lot now I’m actually living with him.

    “So,” he said, “How many suri were there tonight?” Justin said. He was sitting on the couch flicking through the T.V channels while I was making dinner.

    “Two.” I said, sighing. “What’s wrong?” said Justin. “That’s a really good number.” “Well,” I said, “there was a dude about thirty outside the library this morning and he followed me around for most of the day. I had to climb onto the roof of a deli and down the back before I could lose him.” Justin laughed.

    To most people my curse would have sounded like I needed to be in a mental home, but to my family, we are used to it by now.

    “The other guy?” he asked. “ Oh, well that I can’t tell you.” I said, walking out of the room.

    “Lexii!” Justin called after me. “C’mon, I thought we could share everything.” “We can,” I sighed, “But this never happened before, so I don’t know what to do!”

    I walked back into the room. Justin was turned fully around in the couch and was staring at me. I walked over and sat down beside him. “Fine,” I said. “But let me finish before you say anything.” He nodded. “When I went into get petrol, there was a guy behind the counter of the shop, and well instantly he became a suri, so he started talking to me. He said his name was Riley Smith and that he goes to your college.”

    “I know him,” Justin said, “He is a really nice guy.” “I know.” I stated. “That sounds normal,” Justin said, sounding puzzled. “What’s the problem?” “There is only one problem,” I sighed. “I like him too.”