A Kidnapping and Suspicions: In the Eyes of Captain Smollett

Start from the beginning

"And there is still treasure left there, right?"

"What are you going on ab..."

Livesey trailed off as he realized what Trelawney was talking about. I, as well, realized what he was talking about, but Jones looked confused.

"We must go after them," Livesey declared, placing his hat on his head before making his way towards the front door. "Smollett, can you get us a ship?"

"Wait, we're leaving now?" I asked in surprise. "But it's the middle of the night!"

"If you'll let me interrupt," Jones spoke up. "Where exactly are you going?"

"Treasure Island," Livesey replied graveley.

***

As soon as the sun had risen over the horizon, Trelawney, Livesey, and I stood aboard the ship that I had grown to love; the Hispaniola. About the same time we arrived back in England two years ago, a passing ship found the Hispaniola adrift and was able to bring it back home, much to our joy. I was surprised that we were able to gain a crew overnight, but that was thanks to Hunter and Joyce, who heard what had happened to Jim and Tom, and volunteered to help us. With them, they brought a generous amount of hands that were willing to help us. We made sure that we had enough stores for the crew plus an extra two for the trip to the island and the trip back. Even though I told myself that I would no longer sail, the deck of the Hispaniola felt just like home to my feet. I was about to tell Joyce, who was the first mate, to set sail, when I heard my name being called. I turned to see Jones running towards us, waving frantically.

"Smollett! Don't set sail yet!"

I waited patiently for Jones to run up the gangplank that we were about to lift up, and he stood there, hands on his knees trying to catch his breath.

"Jones," I greeted, a bit surprised. "What are you-"

"Let me come with you!" he pleaded. "Since I was the one who hired Silver, I feel as if I'm at fault for Jim and Tom's kidnapping."

"You are exactly at fault here!" Trelawney blurted out, Livesey trying his best to calm him down.

Thoughts running through my head, I reluctantly sighed. It would be helpful to have another hand on board with us. I nodded, and Jones' face broke out into a smile as he saluted me.

"You will not regret bringing me along," he smiled.

***

"I don't like it," Trelawney muttered, folding his arms.

"Don't like what, Trelawney?" I asked, looking up from the chart.

"The fact that you agreed to let Jones come with us," came the cold reply. "I just don't trust that man. There is no way that that man didn't recognize Silver."

I was about to say something before a knock was soon heard on the cabin door. Glancing at each other, I made my way to the door and opened it to reveal Livesey standing there, an annoyed look on his face.

"Our newest crew member is seasick," Livesey announced with a roll of his eyes. "Honestly, Smollett, I don't understand why you agreed to let him come along."

Trelawney looked at me with a raised eyebrow, but I waved him away.

"Listen, as Headmaster of the school Jim attends; well, more like attended, Jones feels as if it's his duty to help in any way he can in getting the boys back. I don't have a good feeling about this either, but if I didn't take him along with us, then I couldn't keep an eye on him."

"Are you saying that you don't trust Jones?" Trelawney asked.

"Something just doesn't sit right with this," I replied. "I need to go see him."

With a swish of my coat, I was out the door and was heading towards where Jones was. When I entered the cabin, I saw Jones sitting up, his head in his hands. I sat down next to him, and patted his shoulder.

"A real landlubber, I presume?" I asked with a mocking chuckle.

"I've never been on a ship before," Jones admitted sheepishly. "I only came to help Jim and Tom, and possibly find out who burned down the school."

I was silent for a moment before speaking up again.

"Would you have any idea to who might have done it?" I asked, already knowing the response.

"I would have to say that Silver is most likely," came the reply. "If he wanted Jim, what better way to take him away without notice then to cause a distraction so large no one would notice him, or Tom, gone."

There was a little bite in the way he said those words, which raised my suspicions. However, I just kept quiet and patted him on the back before standing.

"We'll find them and get them back," I smiled. "Don't worry."

Jones smiled back at me before laying down and trying to quell his seasickness. As soon as I opened the door, I saw Livesey and Trelawney waiting for me. Both of them raised an eyebrow as I quietly closed the door, and sighed.

"Jones is hiding something. I know it."