My mom notices my anger and she grows sympathetic. "I know that it stinks, being here away from your friends with some moody guy that you barely even remember, but just try to imagine how much worse it is for him. He just lost someone that he really loves, and it's our job to try to make him feel even a little bit better, no matter how difficult."

She reaches for my hand from across the table, grasping it softly. "If there's anyone that can pull it off, it's you." She looks into my eyes, and her faith in me is enough to melt away my anger entirely.

"I'll try."

I know that's what she wants to hear. But the truth is, I'm tired of trying. It's decided. We can coexist just fine if we ignore each other, and when my mom's around, I'll just pretend that I'm a happy camper.

She flashes me a smile and I try my hardest to flash her a sincere one back. "That's my girl," she says, before putting back on her glasses and returning to her book. "Now be quiet, I have Fifty Shades of Grey to get back to."

"Gross Mom! I did not need to know that!" I bolt out of my seat, making a beeline for the back door as I hear her soft chuckle in the distance.

Outside, a cool breeze blows through the air, and I can't tell whether it's the weather or the bright stars, but it feels like the perfect time for exploring. I head towards the barn first. I'm already familiar with the ground level. It's the usual, chickens, pigs, and cows, with hay strewn everywhere in a sort of organized chaos.

But what really intrigues me is the upper level. I've seen Nick disappear for hours up there, but I've never taken a look up there as to why. I make my way up the rickety wood steps, holding my breath as if that will stop them from breaking. I'm surprised as to what I see.

There is a large window with a breathtaking view of the stars, and I admire it for a while. The stars here are so bright, so full of life that it sometimes takes my breath away. I'm so distracted by the stars that I almost don't notice the bird's nest on the window ledge. It holds four beautiful eggs, their color a vibrant robin-egg blue.

But what really draws my attention is the wooden desk situated right in front of the window. With its location, the user has the perfect view of the sky. The desk is undoubtedly old, the wood is faded and scratched in some areas, but it has character. I can tell that this desk has a plethora of memories, a whole lifetime's worth. I admire it, running my fingers through the deep groves in the wood when I hear someone behind me.

"Get away from the desk."

I turn, unsurprised to find out that it's Nick.

"Look," I say turning away from him again so that I'm gazing out of the window. "This whole routine of you getting mad at me for doing something small like sitting down or breathing, followed by you being nice to me, then you treating me like dirt, yet again, is getting old. So how about we both cut the crap." After tonight, all my patience for him has dwindled.

I whip my body towards him. "I'll start first. I think your attitude sucks, you have obvious anger issues, and your extremely selfish. What you did tonight," I pause. "You didn't think about what would happen to the people that care about you. Not my mom, not me, and especially not Kelly. And to drive drunk?

I get it, you're going through a hard time. But newsflash, we all do. Everyone around you is coddling you and allowing you to treat the people around you, and yourself, like shit, but that isn't going to do anyone any good. So, here's my one piece of advice: get your shit together, because I am so, so tired of being your personal punching bag." I let out a huff, overwhelmed with a feeling of relief after finally releasing my pent-up anger from the night.