The Rover - Act IV

Act IV

Scene 1

Don Antonio does not believe that Belvile is innocent of having injured him; however, he offers Belvile an option other than imprisonment. Since Antonio is wounded, he cannot duel Pedro: Belvile must dress up as Antonio and go as him instead. Belvile agrees, believing that the fight must be over Florinda.

Scene 2

Florinda frets that Belvile did not come to her window as planned, and fears that the duel about to happen is between Belvile and Pedro. Pedro enters, masked, and reveals that he will be fighting Antonio, relieving some of Florinda's fears. Belvile enters, disguised as Antonio. Pedro accuses "Antonio" of having "the advantage of me in Angellica" and the men start to fight. Florinda runs in to stop them. Belvile is confused as to why Florinda would defend his rival but they push her away and fight. Florinda stops them again just as Belvile disarms Pedro. She begs him "by her you love" to spare Pedro. Belvile lays his sword at Florinda's feet and swears his love to her. The action redeems him in Pedro's eyes, so he gives his sister to the man he believes to be Antonio, demanding that they get married at once. Florinda protests, but Belvile secretly lifts his mask to show her who he is.

Just then, Willmore and Frederick enter. Wilmore greets him by embrace. The embrace makes Belvile drop his mask. Pedro now refuses to allow the wedding, since it was Antonio's fight, not Belvile's. He drags Florinda away, accusing her of trying to trick him. Belvile, furious at being thwarted yet again, turns on Willmore and chases him away.

Angellica enters with her servants Moretta and Sebastian, furious that Willmore loves Hellena. Sebastian runs after Willmore to bring him back. Angellica accuses Willmore of having another woman. Willmore, as usual, attempts to charm her back.

Hellena enters disguised as a man. She decides to interfere, approaching Angellica pretending to be one of Hellena's servants. She tells a story about a young girl who fell in love and was left standing at the altar because her lover came to Angellica. Then she reveals the lover to be Willmore. Angellica is moved by the story, Willmore is only excited and impatient to find out who the woman in question is. Suddenly, Willmore recognizes Hellena and figures out what's going on. He turns to Angellica and starts describing Hellena as a Gypsy, ugly, a monkey, etc. He tells Hellena to go back to her mistress and tell her "till she be handsome enough to be loved, or I dull enough to be religious, there will be small hopes of me." Angellica is outraged with Willmore and vows to take revenge and sends Willmore away. Willmore exits with an aside in which he says he plans to try to win Hellena back.

Scene 3

Florinda and Valeria enter, disguised in different costumes, having momentarily escaped Pedro. Then Don Pedro, Belvile, and Willmore enter. Pedro and Belvile seem to be having a serious conversation. Willmore follows Florinda when she walks past, again thinking she is a courtesan.

Frederick comes in and relates Blunt's misadventures to Belvile and Pedro. They all go off to find him. Florinda reenters, still being chased by Willmore. Then Hellena arrives and sees Willmore pursuing this "unknown" woman. She sends a page to find out where they go.

Scene 4

Florinda ducks into a door to avoid Willmore; it turns out to be Belvile's house. The page Hellena sent goes off to relay the information.

Scene 5

Blunt is staying in Belvile's house. Florinda enters, sees Blunt and asks him for help. Blunt then attempts to rape her based on his new contempt for women ("be revenged on one whore for the sins of another"). Frederick enters, also convinced that Florinda is a prostitute, and joins Blunt. Florinda gives them a diamond ring and asks them to consult Belvile. Frederick fears that she might be a lady of some worth and asks Blunt to wait. Blunt is still skeptical but agrees. Frederick locks Florinda in a room.