"Servants gossip, no doubt."

"What servant could possibly have thought that I was in need of a valet when I have never stated such a wish? "

 Ward finally glanced over, a wry smile on his lips. "Haven't you ever had a servant who thought they knew what was needed better than you?"

 My thoughts went to my family's long-time servants. They had always given their opinions, respectfully of course. "I suppose," I said reluctantly. "Still, what would I do with a valet?"

"The usual things, of course," Ward said, his tone becoming impatient. "Think of all the little matters you find tiresome that you could have a valet do for you."

It was true I had wished for someone to handle matters when I'd had too much to drink. But was that enough to hire a man unseen?

"It would do you no harm to take him on," Ward continued. "After all, you are a man of some independence. If you find you are dissatisfied with him, you can always send him on his way."

I had been thinking of hiring a man. "Well, as you say, it wouldn't hurt to offer the man a trial," I said slowly. "Too bad he hadn't arrived in time to make an accounting of Pearsend for me."

"Indeed," Ward said, his tone distracted. "Though I doubt he would have been able to advise you any better than I."

"Bad news?" I asked, nodding at his own letter.

"Not necessarily," Ward said, folding the paper. "Ingram has invited me to another card game."

"You can't be thinking of accepting. You told me yourself he's nothing but trouble."

Ward nodded. "He is, it's true. However, he is also a person you cannot openly defy, else he finds some way of retaliating. And that is not a position you want to put yourself in unless you are prepared to endure the consequences."

My own feelings about Ingram had warned me wasn't to be trusted, but this was something else entirely! "You make him sound as though he looks out for people he can take advantage of!"
"I earn my way with my skills at cards. Is it such a stretch of the information to think Ingram could earn his way by manipulating people?"

 And we had come back to where this man apparently reigned supreme. Despite Ward's warnings, I wasn't sure my friend was taking Ingram seriously. Or perhaps, he thought he could handle the man because he knew the danger.

"If it eases your mind, I don't think I will accept," Ward said as he stood up. "I gave him one chance to best me, and he lost. I'm hardly required to give him another opportunity, especially as I'm sure he means to exclude you."

"You cannot think I would permit you to steer the game in my favor again! Not now when I know how much you rely on your winnings!"

 With a laugh, Ward clapped my shoulder. "You're a good sort, Bywood. I don't deserve a friend like you. Now. Shall you join me for a stroll to the Pump room? We can let our return be made known from there."

"You wish to see Miss Forester."

"I won't deny it. Is there no one you would not be opposed to seeing after several days absence?"

No one came to mind, but I couldn't deny conversation with someone other than Ward was appealing. He was a good fellow, but a change of opinion would not be amiss. "Give me ten minutes to respond to this Pennyworth, and then I shall join you."

◆◆◆

Once we reached the Pump Room, I remained outside while Ward continued into the building. I was not quite ready to face Miss Dunbar again and there was no other young lady I wished to pass the time with. Melbourne raised his hand in greeting.

"Well met," I said, approaching to shake his hand. "Were you dismissed from Miss Dunbar's side?"

"I have been attempting a new strategy to win her heart," Melbourne said with a grin. "If I absent myself and give my attention to another fair lady, perhaps she will regret dismissing me out of hand. And if she does not...then I will be directing my focus in a better direction."