A Haunting Halloween

Start from the beginning

Ozette and her crew left Sydney to work her magic on their costumes and headed home. When they reached the chipmunks' burrow, Ozette noticed that Ariel, another fairy friend, had left three woven orange-colored baskets in the shape of pumpkins for the chipmunks.

“This will be so fun, Gizmo!” they shouted.

 “We will pick you up tomorrow at dusk,” Ozette said.

When they reached their nesting tree, there were two baskets identical to the ones the chipmunks were given. “Lots of treats will fit in these, Ozette,” Gizmo said sticking his head into the basket and envisioning it filled to the brim with his favorite snacks.

After a nap, Ozette and Gizmo scampered to their elf friend Oliver's charming cottage, deep in the woods.  He had invited them over to help bake Halloween treats in his sduper-dooper elf kitchen. Late blooming flowers cascaded from window boxes and smoke curled lazily from his river stone fireplace. Ozette shut her eyes and breathed deeply.  How she loved the scents of autumn.

Oliver greeted them at the door, smiling his broadest smile. 

“Uncle, Oliver!” Gizmo shouted, flinging himself at the elf. 

Oliver ruffled the squirrel's fur fondly and led them to the fire where he served them spiced cider and ginger cookies cut into pumpkin shapes.

After their snack, Oliver led them into the kitchen where he had already set out the ingredients for his favorite of Halloween treats – spicy acorn supremes, nutty nutkins, and pumpkin nutters.  He helped Gizmo measure and mix, stir and roll out the goodies.  Soon the cottage was filled with the spicy smell of baking cookies.

They chatted by the fire while the cookies cooled in the kitchen. Oliver modeled his cowboy costume and gave a smile of approval as Gizmo told him about the costumes Sydney was making for them. All too soon, it was time to leave.  Oliver filled large bags with cookies, wrapping each carefully so it wouldn't break.

“I'll help you carry these to your nest.  By the way, who will be giving out these treats while you and the gang are trick or treating?” he asked.

“Nissa has family visiting, and she needs a break from her raucous squirrel family,” Ozette said. “She will pass out treats at our tree while I take Gizmo and the chipmunks trick or treating.”

The next morning the squirrels tidied their nest and had a hearty breakfast.          

 “Let's take a nap, Gizmo. You'll be up later than usual tonight,” she said.

They tucked themselves into their nesting hole and slept several hours. After they awoke and had something to eat - fresh acorn torte, dried apples and mushrooms - they climbed down their tree to find their costumes finished and neatly folded.

“Wow!” said Gizmo holding up the dragon. “This is better than I ever imagined!”

Sydney had fashioned a green dragon out of fabric leaving a place in the rear for Gizmo to tuck his tail. This was covered in shiny gold and green scales. The wings were shades of green, and when Gizmo tried on the costume he could flap his little wings. When he opened his dragon mouth, it looked like little flames shooting into the air.

“Perfect,” said Ozette, while Gizmo ran in circles breathing “fire” and making dragon noises.  “That Sydney is a genius.”         

Ozette picked up her costume and gasped.  Sydney had sewn a blue vest and appliquéd a large red “S” on the front. Sitting on the curve of the “S” she had embroidered a white squirrel holding a banner saying, “Super-Squirrel Girl.”  She had included red tights with a hole cut for Ozette's tail and a red cape with the same “S” emblem on the back. A little red pillbox hat with a white squirrel embroidered on the front completed her costume.