Chapter 2

Gerry and I talk on the phone almost every day now. I go to the payphone downstairs and use my quarters while my mother scoffs at me and goes upstairs to the apartment.

He has these elaborate plans of saving up his money and coming to the States. I laugh along with him as he creates a life for us in his mind. I don't want to put too much hope into this, but he says he's coming soon. And that he can't live without me. And all those things men tell their lovers to seduce them.

I'm making my own plans in my mind to get an apartment so if he comes, he can stay with me. We can play house for a few days until he has to leave again. It's not exactly the most responsible plan or financially stable plan, but it doesn't seem like Gerry cares about those things. So I have to.

Tomorrow, I start a job as a server at a restaurant down the street. Mom isn't too thrilled, but it's not like she wants me working in the bar. And well, she thinks it will distract me from my studies like how Gerry will distract me from my studies.

"Oh love, don't pay any attention to your mother right now," Gerry tells me as my mother shouts at me from out the window that dinner is ready. His voice lowers, "Don't you remember that time we did it in the alley behind the pub?"

"Gerry!" I whisper through the phone. "Stop it!" I look around as if others can hear what he's saying.

"Come on, baby, remember it with me," his voice is a nice low rumble in my ear.

"No..." I whimper through the phone. "We're just going to want more of what we can't have now."

Two Months Later

Gerry is coming tomorrow. I bounce around my mother's apartment. Yes, my mother's apartment while she ignores me. So, my plan didn't exactly work out.

I have all my outfits laid out over the bed. Should I go for sexy or schoolgirl? Or sexy school girl.

The phone rings.

"Hello?" I say.

"Please don't tell me you're still obsessing over your outfits right now."

Denise. How could she possibly know that?

"No!" I say. "I mean, no I'm not. I have decided to go with sexy schoolgirl."

"Oh Hol, come on. He's a grown man. He doesn't want to see that." I glare at the phone.

"Well, if you're the expert now, then you tell me!" I lower my voice. "Mom's letting him stay here."

"That's a terrible idea."

"No, it's not," I say though I have my own doubts.

"You know, she's only doing that so she can keep tabs on your sex life." Denise sounds bored like everyone in the world knows this but me.

"Oh God, you're right!" I slap my forehead. "Well, what am I going to do?"

"Um, get a hotel."

"Do you know how expensive hotels are in New York? We can't afford that. I can't afford that."

"Well, make him pay," she says.

"I can't do that! I invited him. This is just so he can meet my mother," I huff.

"There's where you went wrong. Never introduce a boy you like to your mother, Hol."

"She liked Timmy Harris," I point out.

"That's because Timmy Harris was practically a girl. He was zero threat to you. And from what you've told me, Gerry is Mr. Bad Ass."

"I don't know what to do." I sink down onto my bed feeling like I've fallen into a trap.

"Well, the only thing you can do now is meet him at the airport."

I'm bouncing up and down as I wait for Gerry to get out of customs. After about fifteen minutes, I finally see the first passenger come walking through the tunnel. A whole crowd files through the tunnel, and the waiting feels endless.

Finally, Gerry appears. He's carrying a bouquet of roses.

A laugh escapes my lips. It's nervous and excited all at once.

"Hello, love," he says and encompasses me in his arms.

I thow mine around his neck and kiss him, probably too hard. Kinda like the first time. Oops.

When we pull back, I whisper, "Hello, Gerry."

All around us, the airport is busy with people coming and going. Some give us smiles; others just stare.

"These are for you," Gerry holds the roses out.

"Yes, I know," I laugh.

"You know, do you? Actually, they were for the flight attendant, but she turned me down," he jokes.

"Gerry!" I punch his arm and grab the flowers.

He grabs my hand and pulls me through the airport. "Let me take a look at your New York City."

Gerry seems a bit flustered when we walk through the doors into the mad rush of taxis. While he's staring, I hail a cab and pull him inside.

After giving the driver the address, I sit back and watch Gerry watching the world. I look out the window trying to see the city as if for the first time, as if through Gerry's eyes.

The cab pulls up in front of the apartment, and a sense of dread rushes over me.

"Come, on," Gerry says, "How bad can your mother be?"

Two hours later, I find Gerry sitting in a bar a few streets over.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Your mother..." He says shaking his head and taking another swig of whiskey. "How are you not an alcoholic, love?"

We laugh in unison, and the sound is way too loud for this cramped bar.

"Are you ready for some site-seeing?"

"What are you talking about? I've seen everything. Trust me. Let a man drink." He winks to let me know he's kidding. He slams his drink on the bar and throws some bills on it. "Let's go!"