41 | friends don't leave each other breathless

Start from the beginning

"Jungkook, we agreed that I need to think about this. We aren't anything official yet because I want to be a hundred percent sure about you. You were the one who wanted to hang around me during the wait so what else could we possibly be now?"

He shrugs. "I don't know... Isn't there a stage before the boyfriend/girlfriend level?"

I laugh to myself. "This isn't a video game Jungkook."

"I'm not an expert at this." He admits sourly.

"Clearly. And it's totally okay because we will get through this together." I assure him. "Don't worry. It's not that big of a deal."

"But it is a big deal." He says, his voice suddenly sounding childlike. "I messed up with you from the barely beginning. I don't want to fuck things up again. I'm pretty much clueless at this kind of stuff. I'm not a romantic guy. " It's pretty dark in here, but I can see his eyes fall on the floor and his lips turning into a thin line.

"Trust me I know you're not a romantic guy." I tell him. "Besides, it's not like I have an ideal type on my mind. You are your own self and as long as you're treating me right, I'm willing to be with you. And you're doing great now."

Jungkook finally looks up. "Really?"

"Yeah," I reply truthfully "otherwise I wouldn't ask you on a date."

"Well, you asked me on a double date." He corrects.

"You could ask me on a date too you know." I say. "Just a suggestion."

"Oh no, I messed up." He groans and I grab both of his hands.

"You didn't!" I say a little louder than I intended. "Let's go with the flow and see where it takes us. For now let's just settle on going on a double date with Yoongi and Joy."

"I'm not a double date kind of person." Jungkook mutters.

"And I am not Marilyn Monroe." I snap. "Come on, you said you would do it."

"I didn't say I'd go on a double date." Jungkook evades. "I said I'd apologize to your friend."

"Same thing!"

"It's gonna be awkward." Jungkook says.

"Come on they are my best friends. I would definitely go on a double date with you and your friends." I counter.

"I don't want you near my friends." Jungkook says lowly. What he means is thst he doesn't want me near Jimin.

"I didn't mean Jimin." I mumble. "It could be you and I and Taehyung with some other girl."

Jungkook gives me a look that implies: don't push your luck.

"Don't you have any other friends?" I exclaim.

"I don't need many friends." Jungkook says. "If I could be with you and you alone I'm fine with it." My heart ricochets against my chest and I can feel my temperature rise at his words. "I don't mean that in a friendly way." He pauses then proceeds "I can't be just friends with you Elena. I know it has only been like a week ever since we made our deal but it's hard seeing you, talking to you, being around you without being able to touch you."

"I'm holding your hand now." I say in a whisper.

"I don't mean this kind of touch." Jungkook says darkly. "I'm trying my hardest to prove myself to you, but fuck you're like a drug. You make me feel calm during a crappy day and your very presence makes me forget everything around me. I've never felt like this before and I don't know how to handle this kind of emotion. Whenever I see you I feel sick to my stomach."

"Wait what?" I interrupt. He was doing so well until he said I make him sick to the stomach.

"Wait, that sounded wrong." Jungkook stammers.

It sure did. But I understand precisely what he's feeling because I'm experiencing the exact same feeling. "You're having butterflies." I giggle.

"When do they stop?" He asks and that makes me erupt in cackles. I feel actual physical pain near my navel area as I continue laughing like an idiot in front of him. Jungkook is currently glaring at me but when I let out an accidental snort he bursts out laughing too and that's all it takes for us to turn into a hysterical mess. My skin is hot and sweat pearls up on my forehead. This man truly is something.

"We can't be friends Elena." Jungkook suddenly says. "I know it's fucked up, but I'm selfish and when it concerns you it's all or nothing." I stare at him speechless and he continues. "I don't want to pressure you but you still have to give me your answer."

"Why can't we be friends?" I inquire.

"Because friends don't leave each other breathless." Jungkook says gravely. He takes a step closer and I'm already backed up on the wall. His hand makes its way to my cheekbone caressing the soft skin.

"Is that what you really want?" He asks, his voice full of emotion.

"Only for now." I mutter.

His charcoal eyes glimmer in the darkness and he tugs his plump bottom lip under his teeth.

"Don't look at me like that." He rasps.

"How?"

"Like you want to kiss me so fucking bad."

Now it's my turn to bite my lip. My breaths are turning shallow and I for the first time I feel sure about this.

I want him.