~~

"No."

"But why?" Mabel cried, earning a look from her sister, who sat reading with their mom.

"I don't want to." He lied. Mabel and Edward were close in age, meaning that Mabel knew all his give aways, and he knew all of hers. Most of the time he chose to ignore it, though.

"You're the worst!" Mabel huffed, crossing her arms

"No, I'm the best, Mabel." Edward smilled jokingly at her, "But, in all seriousness, I'm busy."

"Busy with what?" Anne asked curiously. Mabel smiled teasingly at the boy.

The tips of Edward's ears reddened, "Uh, I'm spending the day with-"

"With Jane Andrews, I presume?" Mabel interrupted, crossing her arms and raising her eyebrow.

"Mabel! Haven't I taught you not to interrupt your brother?" Mabel's mom shook her head. "I will not repeat myself."

Mabel resisted the urge to roll her eyes, "Sorry, mother."

Catherine raised her eyes from the book to watch the exchange, a small smile resting against her face.

Mrs. Barnes eyed her suspiciously before going back to reading her book.

Mabel frowned before leaving the room. Anne followed silently behind her, disappointment hanging heavy on both girl's hearts.

Anne sighed, "Who will we go with then? I've been looking forward to this for.. for.. forever!'

Mabel frowned, laying herself down on her bed. She stares at the cieling, her hands folded together and resting on her stomach.

She felt the bed dip and Anne laid herself down next to her. Anne's hands were also folded and resting on her stomach.

Mabel turned her head to look at Anne, her heart skipping a beat when she saw that Anne's eyes were already focused on her.

No matter how hard Mabel willed herself not to, she couldn't help but let her eyes trail down to Anne's lips.

~~

"It's absurd that ladies aren't allowed to travel without a male companion!" Anne said loudly.

Mabel nodded in agreement, "Positively unbelievable. I mean, what makes us any less than men? Nothing, that's what. We should be equal!"

"Agreed! And, did I mention, this is the first year we've been invited! And, Aunt Josephine is having a world-renowned pianist perform?"

"What?"

"No!"

"Yes!"

Cole's grunt as he angrily stood interrupted their conversation. He briefly glanced at the girl's before he tossed his sketch book in the fire.

Mabel gasped in horror as she stood, "Cole!"

"No!"

"Cole, what are you doing?"

"Leave it!" Cole shouted as Anne went to pull the burning book out. "I said leave it."

Anne didn't listen as she pulled out the burnt book and began stomping on it to put the fire out.

"Cole, why on earth would you do that?"

"It should've been better by now.." Cole explained sadly.

"These things take time. It'll get there." Mabel said comfortingly.

"It will be! You just need time-"