10

The group stood silently in the basement of the Neibolt House, their eyes on the portal which still seemed to be glowing slightly from behind the closed barrier

The group stood silently in the basement of the Neibolt House, their eyes on the portal which still seemed to be glowing slightly from behind the closed barrier. Everything was riding on Eleven being able to open the portal and she knew that.

The pressure was enough to make her hands shake slightly as she tried to hype herself up and tell herself that she could do it. She felt something grab on to her hand and Eleven turned her head to see Wheeler standing beside her giving her a look of concern as he laced their fingers together.

"You okay?" he whispered, his head tilting slightly as he watched the girl.

Eleven nodded and squeezed her boyfriend's hand. "Yeah, I'm just a little nervous is all," she admitted.

"Hey, don't be," Wheeler immediately said. "Just think of all that you've done, El. Opening a portal should be the least of your worries. All you have to do is focus and you'll be fine. You've got this, okay?"

Eleven was silent as she stared at Wheeler for a moment before nodding her head. Wheeler gave her a small smile before leaning forward and pressing a quick kiss to her temple. Eleven squeezed his hand one last time before the boy pulled away so that Eleven could have her space.

The young girl stared at the portal before letting her eyes flicker over all of the people around her, each one of them standing there with concern written all over their face as they thought of Y/N. Eleven's eyes hesitated on Bill who gave the girl a short nod in response. Eleven nodded back before turning her attention back to the portal.

Everyone watched as she took a deep breath to calm herself before breathing out and lifting her hand up. She put all of her focus on the portal, ignoring the people around her as she focused on nothing more than opening up the wall before her.

It took a few tries but Eleven was so determined to get it open that she finally succeeded and the goo portal began to crack open. Before they knew it, the portal had opened back up, the glowing growing in intensity as the light poured out. How ironic seeing as the Upside Down was extremely dark.

Eleven let her hand drop and she felt her whole body relax once the stress was taken away. She slumped down slightly and Wheeler was quick to go to her side, taking his long sleeve and wiping away the blood from her nose as he whispered, "You did it, El. You did it!"

It was like a small weight had been lifted off of each of their shoulders now that the gate was officially open again. This time, they would make sure not to close it before everyone was out.

"So how are we going to do this?" Lucas asked. "Are we going to charge in there all at once or-?"

"We need to stick together," Bill insisted, a look of determination on his face as he gripped the crowbar in his hands, his jacket that Y/N usually wore wrapped around his frame due to her lingering scent that helped remind him what he was fighting for. "It's either all of us or none of us, so we all need to be prepared to go in there."