A Picture's Worth

Fandom - Haikyu!!

Haikyu!! © Haruichi Furudate

Waxed floors squeaked under sneakers as volleyballs soared through the sky and kissed the ground. Shouts of 'nice receive!' and 'chance ball!' were bouncing off the walls. Screams of anguish and triumph were loud in the gym as Karasuno lost against Nekoma. The crows began their diving receive laps as the Nekoma captain let out a laugh when Hinata clipped his chin against the gym floor. Kenma only shook his head at his obnoxious captain as he continued to play the game he paused to play against Karasuno. Nishinoya and Tanaka left the gym to escape a scolding Daichi when they were trying to show off near the end of the match and costed them the match point.

The two were walking along the path, commenting about Kuroo's legendary blocks when they spotted an unusual figure crouched near one of the open doors. They had a camera in their hands, taking photos of Fukurodani and Ubugawa in the middle of a heated match. The mysterious student was wearing a standard, white uniform shirt without any tie with grey slacks on with the ends rolled up. The boy even had a black cap on! He was squatting next to an opened black shoulder bag, oblivious of Tanaka and Nishinoya.

Right as Fukurodani and Ubugawa finished their match, they were met with the two second year crows dragging in the mysterious student kicking and screaming. Said student was trying to grab the camera and bag Nishinoya was desecrating with grabby hands. All the volleyball players were standing attentively. The captains approached as Tanaka shouted about spies.

"I go to this school! I have a school ID!" The <h/c> stranger shouted.

"We caught this guy taking photos of us! He must be a spy from another school!" Tanaka ignored the student.

"He's got a bunch of camera stuff and a laptop!" Nishinoya held up the laptop with one hand.

"BE CAREFUL WITH THAT!"

"Hey, hey, hey!" Kuroo tried to claim peace, "that's (Name)! From our school newspaper club!"

The two Karasuno students were stunned in silence as (Name) pulled out of Tanaka's grip and snatched his equipment from the libero, "I've been trying to tell these idiots that!"

"Hi, (Name)," Kenma cut in.

"Hey, Kenny-Ken," he responded back with the malice gone from his tone, "I thought volleyball players were smart! Apparently someone didn't read their permission slips! It said on the slip that students from the Nekoma Newspaper Club would be present during the training camp to take photos for the school newspaper!"

"I mean, you are by yourself... " Kuroo tried to defend, but a glare from the newspaper student silenced him. (Name) pointed at the cap, which had 'Nekoma Newspaper Club' written on it in white.

"Obara-senpai sent me here by myself. She knew if we had more than one photographer, you all might get distracted."

"Why were you hiding then?!" Tanaka shouted.

"Everytime I photograph a sports event, I always end up with people trying to show off for the camera. I just want players to be natural and act how they usually do. I don't like faking shots." (Name) grumbled, "like Karasuno's jump-spike with player 10 or Bokuto missing a serve. I want you all to act as natural as you are able so I can capture the real you. I'm sorry for the interruption!" <E/c> widened as (Name) bowed in apology.

"It's alright, (Name). You guys are slammed right now," Kuroo pardoned the second year.

"That's very considerate of you, (Name)-kun," Kenma piped up.