Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

When you finished, he looked crestfallen. You reached out to him, but he recoiled, looking at you as if your touch would burn him.

"I need to be alone," he told you, and you felt some piece of you shatter. Even though you knew he wouldn't, part of you had hoped that he would understand. You had made mistakes, yes, but everything you had done had been with good intentions. Even joining the League. You were doing it for Sir Nighteye, you had told him. You were doing it to avenge his death because no one else would. But it appeared that it still wasn't enough.

Mirio left you there, alone on the streets. You felt tears well up in your eyes, but you pushed them back. You refused to cry over this. You had dug yourself into this mess, and you were the one who had to get yourself out of it.

You needed to get back to the dorms. But now, with Mirio gone, you were scared to. What if he told someone about who you worked with? What if the police came after you? What if Aizawa came after you? So, with a heavy heart, you texted Himiko. She answered almost immediately, and a warp gate appeared not soon after. You walked through it, once again questioning your loyalties and who you were as a person.

Thankfully, no one asked any questions as to why you were back. Instead, you were greeted warmly by Magne, who offered to get you a glass of water at the sight of your tear-filled eyes. You accepted, sipping at it as the woman led you to a quiet corner of the room and painted your nails with bright purple polish. The action helped you calm down a great deal. You listened to her tell you about her friends, and when you were ready, you told her what happened with Mirio.

Magne listened to you, not once daring to interrupt. When you were finished, she wrapped you into a hug.

"The path we walk is a difficult one," she told you when you finished crying onto her shoulder. "But you are never alone. You have me and the rest of the league here for you, okay? I know we aren't the best bunch around, but we'll stick by your side, I promise."

There were a lot of promises being made today. It made you nauseous.

"But you won't be around," you told her through sobs. You had contemplated telling her this before, and if there was ever a time to do it, it was now. "You die, Mags. Overhaul is going to kill you."

It was her turn to be shocked. She bristled for a moment before calming down, hand reaching down to pet your hair comfortingly. "I won't die this time, okay? Whatever it is that drove me to end up like that won't happen again, I promise, hun. We're all here to stay."

"Don't attack him," you told her, voice cracking. She was a good friend to be saying this. An even better one to be comforting you about it when she was the one who should be worried. "That's... that's what happens. You attack him, and he... and he..."

You trailed off, not wanting to tell her the details of her demise. You imagined her in the place of the man in the alleyway- imagined her being turned into a splatter of blood and scraps of cloth- and felt your eyes well up with tears. You made the decision to save her a few hours ago. It felt different now that you were actually here telling her about it. You wondered if you were making a mistake. You probably were, you thought to yourself.

You heard Sir Nighteye's voice echo in your mind. Death cannot be avoided.

You sat there as Magne tried to comfort you, and for the first time since you got here, you prayed to whatever god there was that everything would be okay.

▌│█║▌║▌║

You didn't return to UA. The next few days were spent with the League. You skillfully ignored the texts that Mirio and Aizawa sent you, not wanting to see what they had to say. Truthfully, you were too scared to open them. You were terrified of what you might find.