Sickly Sweet

No matter how hard folks in Plum Grove tried to keep things hidden, their ugliest truths festered just below the surface and threatened to disintegrate everything from within. Marcy Bishop knew that better than anyone.

One night while their parents were doing the after-dinner dishes, Marcy's younger sister Jill convinced her to sneak out the back door. After they'd piled into the family car, Marcy drove them to the edge of town where the forest grew thick and the rhythmic song of the katydids found a way to pierce the stillness.

When they came to a lone gravel drive, Marcy slowed the car. Like restless observers, the mist-shrouded trees lingered in the near-beyond.

Marcy gripped the steering wheel and tried to make out the shapes in the darkness, but her headlights gave off nothing more than a dull glow. "I don't know why I let you talk me into this."

"No one's had a party for years," Jill said, checking her makeup in the mirror.

"Yeah, because we're not allowed."

"Since when has that stopped us? Come on, Marce. As long as we keep it under wraps."

"Things like this never stay under wraps. Some jerk will post about it online and then mom and dad will lock us in our rooms for a month, just like last time. Don't you remember how it was?"

Marcy's stomach turned over at the thought of what life was like then, when everything good they had dissolved like sugar in water.

"But it'll be so worth it. Besides, you think mom and dad don't realize we all get together sometimes? They do, too. What do you think all those town council meetings are about?"

"That doesn't make it right, Jill. You know the rules."

"How could I forget? You try to shove them down my throat every chance you get."

"Then you know it's forbidden," Marcy said, ignoring Jill's bratty attempt at picking a fight. "No candy. No Halloween. No parties. Especially not here."

"It's one innocent little party."

Marcy spun to face her sister. "Things are never as innocent as they seem, Jill. You should know that better than anyone."

The silence between them allowed memories of that night 10 years ago to seep into the car like a chill through the gap in the window. Marcy's gaze darted to the family photo pinned to the sun visor above her head. It was taken a year ago when there were still three Bishop siblings. Between them, their older brother, Brandon, stood with his arms wrapped around his sisters. He'd been heading out for what was supposed to be another innocent party that later took a turn that no one expected and changed the lives of everyone in Plum Grove, the Holmes family especially.

When Jill finally responded, she spoke so softly, Marcy barely heard her.

"Of course I do. But we deserve this, Marce. Just a bit of fun so we can forget. For just one night."

Marcy closed her eyes. Jill sure knew how to push her buttons.

"If things get out of control..." Marcy regretted saying anything before she'd even finished, "I'm outta there."

Jill squealed and turned in her seat to hug Marcy. "You won't regret this, Marce! This will be an unforgettable night."

Even though she'd had enough of those in her life already, Marcy ignored the gnawing feeling in her gut. She wanted nothing more than to hold on to just a sliver of Jill's excitement. But something else had climbed up the back of her neck and settled there, a sense of doubt she hoped wouldn't turn into regret.