Pg1

***(Stella isn't really the name of Yukino and Sorano's mother, I made it up. Also, heads up. Because in Fairy Tail they along with Lucy are all celestial mages I've made them cousins.)

In the beginning

When I was young, my mother insured the main source of protection for our kingdom. She also happened to be an exquisite healer. Queen Stella, she loved all life. Including the different verities of it, Fairies, Dragons, Werewolves. It didn't matter to her, all life and it's mana was amazing to her. I get my carefree loving for life from her..

Age 5

It was still dark when mother entered my bedchambers. The sun was still sleeping, as was my father down the hall. Instead of birds chirping, crickets sang the most beautiful melody.

She was going to see an old friend, and she'd thought I'd like to come along.

Duh!

I jumped from my blue puffy sheets of my bed. Mother handed me a sheepskin coat, advising that I must wear it. I assumed it was due to it being early summer, where it was still chilly under the moon light.

I watched as mother quickly gathered up a previously made adventure pack, along with her larger medical pack. She turned to me and smiled, saying how she knew it was early.. But she wished a happy birthday and handed me my own small adventure/med pack. I'm sure she'd filled it with useful things, such as a magnifying glass, cutters for plants and thin branches, mapping journal, and of course bandaging.

I'd always dreamed of one day having my own, maybe even helping mother out one day. I would play in the garden and pretend to bandage wounded mermaids, talk with fairies, and track dragons.

Dragons were my favorite.

"Yukino dear." My mother whispered to me as we exited the main staircase, as not to wake father, or anyone else in the castle for that matter. We headed into the dark, hand in hand.

"Your in for a treat. I'll be introducing you to an old friend of the Heartfilia family. His name is Igneel."  After a while, we approached a cave. The opening was almost completely covered by a thick wall of sleeping morning glories and other vines.

"Keep in mind dear, always come with respect in your heart. Just like horses, can smell fear, they can smell respect."

At first it was the temperature change I'd noticed, but then.. my eyes went wide, as my mother finished her warning.

A Dragon!!

At first all I could see were the glowing yellow eyes, just like the embers of a fire. When I finally caught my breath from my excited shock, brought on the smell of ash and brimstone. Not to mention the heat that blasted us when he himself took a breath, was life changing.

This was the best day ever. Having a dragon close enough to feel it's breath against my chilled face. Mother squeezed my hand.

My mother started to speak gently. While her and the dragon spoke, I wasn't listening. Not like I could fully understand at that time of the grave importance of their conversation.

I was in awe, with only a small torch light. I could see the iridescent shine reflecting from his blood red scales. The compassion in his voice was audible even to me at such a young age.

After a while, he must of grew tired of my staring. Igneel, the king of dragons bowed his head to me.

I still remember the way my heart pounded..

~*~

Age 11

I was accompanying my mother on a call about a rogue dragon. We set out by carriage in the early morning.

"Mother, what does 'rogue' mean?"

My mother smiled at me as she slipped her arm around my shoulders, for a hug. "It means she's without a horde."

"So.. she's wondering territory's alone?"

"Correct, my dear."

I exhaled, saddened by this truth.

Once we'd arrived at a little corner farm.. there she laid. However, something seemed different. The small barn sat smoldering, as did the tiny house.

"Moth-er!"

"Yukino, Wait here."

I watched as my mother confront my first vengeful dragon..

"Irene, you've caused enough trouble."

But how could mother already know her name!?

The dragon raised her head up lazily. She looked at me, and I felt a shock through my whole body.

The Dragon kept still and huffed smoke from her nose.

Mother continued in attempts to persuade her to leave. But I was at a lost that this dragon had no voice..

The dragon growled a harrumph and didn't move a muscle. I'd began to feel that she'd decide to eat my mother instead.

But, with a squint of her sharp eyes she stretched out her massive wings. As she did her scales whispered like silk.  And quickly, silently, she launched herself into the sky.

My mother swiftly ducked with a smile, as the dragon swatted her tail.

Our journey took a long time. The sun started to come, rising up from behind the darkened mountains. Illuminating the kingdom of Fiore's green hills and valleys, as the dew glistened like diamonds.