chapter 1: The beginning

I knew I should have worn waterproof makeup, I thought to myself. I should have known I wouldn't be able to hold it all in until I got home. And even then Jaz would know something was wrong. I sat at a table in the corner. I wiped under my eyes gently, to get rid of the tears and mascara that has surely built up there. My friends kept coming over and trying to get me to dance or move from the corner but I refused. I knew I never should have gone to homecoming. Jaz came over with the guy she'd been hanging out with most of the night. "Dez! They're playing our song! Come dance with me!" She said. I shook my head and stared at my lap. She sat down and started talking. About what, I have no clue. I tuned her out to think about where it had all gone wrong. I should have known Jeremy wouldn't be interested in me. Nobody ever is, I scolded. Why did I even waste my time? Someone shaking my arm snapped me out of my trance. "Dessteny, are you okay?" It was saquesha. I had started crying again. "I'm fine." I said. Lindsey was on the ground next to my chair with her hand on my thigh. A guy I had talked to a bit earlier while walking around with saquesha, before my complete meltdown, came over. He signaled for saquesha to get up. He took her place. "Do you need a hug? I give really good hugs." He said. Putting a hand on my shoulder. I shook his hand away."I'm fine." I repeated. I looked up, and his beautiful blue eyes were closer than I had expected. I looked directly into them. I looked back down and felt the tears coming rushing out again. He pulled me towards him and I felt his arms tighten around me."why are you crying?" He questioned, nowhere near letting me go. I sighed. I guess I'll have to explain to somebody. I just didn't know how to put it into words. How do you explain to someone that you feel unloved by everyone, that you can't stop crying because of your depression, that you want so badly to disappear for good? "It...it's a long story." I managed to get out. "I've got time" he replied, a sweet, yet caring smile on his face.I saw Jaz glance over at us."why don't you two go dance!" She said, winking. He got up and moved to my other side. He held his hand out and I reluctantly put my hand in his. He lead me to the dance floor and stopped when we got to the center. He found my other hand and we swayed in circles while I explained everything. When I was done, he pulled me close as we continued swaying."I know how that feels. I've been there." He whispered into my ear."Really?" I asked. He nodded."Oh, and by the way, you are beautiful." He said. I pulled away from him."No. I..I'm not.almost everyone in this room is prettier than me." I said, staring down at my bare feet. He lifted my chin with his finger and I had to crane my neck extremely far back to look into his eyes."Yes, you are.you are beautiful no matter what they say. Words can't bring you down." He sang completely out of key. I smiled and looked down, feeling the heat in my cheeks. "I just met you, but I really like you. I want a serious relationship. Can you do that?" He said."Yeah. I think I can manage that." I whispered. He pulled me close and I buried my head in his chest. That was the first time I really noticed his scent. That was the first time I met Barrett.