Hear me

I told myself to calm down and Jamal just chuckled..

"Babe, I'm asking you to marry me".
He said this with so much expectation and excitement written all over his face..

"I can't Jamal...atleast not now". I explained to him how much I wanted to be stable first and open my own art gallery first. I wanted to have something that I worked for, and not something he'd just hand to me,which he's offered to do countless times.... That smile he had faded off his face.

After I said what I wanted to say there was total silence for a few seconds..he got up and sat back on his chair,then he took my hand and looked me dead in the eye.

"Are you sure you don't want me to help you with that? I would have gotten you the gallery you wanted months ago if u let me",he said. I didn't know how to respond to that considering the fact that he had been willing to help me for a very long time.

He stood up and pulled me gently by my hands to stand with him. As he did this I couldn't stop thinking about how serious he was about this, and how understanding he was aswel. He put his arms around me and hugged me. Jamal kissed my forehead and held me so tight I didn't think he'd let go any time soon. I leaned my head on his chest, put my arms around his weist and held him close.

"I love you dummy",he said so sincerely.

I looked up at him and asked if he'd let me work hard for what I want and not try to interfere..

"The only time I'll step in is when I see you need my help or when you ask me. Don't expect me to just stand by when my girlfriend is having a hard time" he said while looking at me..

"May you give me a little time to think about the engagement?", I asked him.

He said "Take your time...but not too long. I don't even want to think of how it would be if I lost you"

"I'm not going anywhere...seeing that I can't get rid of you that easily" I said to him with a smile on my face.

That night Jamal slept over...
He layed next to me as we told eachother funny stories of how we grew up,our favourite foods,what we used to do for fun when we were younger. I couldn't help but think that this is the man that's willing to do anything to make me happy.

I started falling asleep as he was talking to me.
"Kitai are u asleep already? I still haven't gotten on your nerves today" he said.

"Baby I'm tireeeed" I replied.

He said "ok" and tucked me in. He didn't leave my side but made sure I was okay before he could fall asleep.

I woke up the next morning with bad bed head and saw him in the kitchen preparing breakfast.
He prepared a plate for me and brought it to my bed..

"Goodmorning beautiful... u were out a long time" he said.

"What time is it Jamal?" I asked him while looking for my watch.

"Time for you to eat something dummy...get up and eat with me" he said.

"I need to get to the grocery store and then the airport before I start with my next painting babe" I told him

"The airport? For what exactly?" Jamal asked while his calm face turned into one of impatience.

I explained that I wanted to go and pick up my bestfriend Theo from the airport who was visiting me from Detroit.

"So is your male bestfriend going to be living with you here in your house?...I hope not Kitai"

"Relax Jamal I'm just picking him up and taking him to the apartment we arranged to get for him." I said.

He got a bit uneasy about me picking up Theo from the airport and expressed that very clearly.

"We? Wait who's 'we' and why didn't you tell me that he's coming?"he asked with a very firm and loud voice.

I just looked at him and sighed. This is why I chose not to tell him earlier because I had a feeling he would react like this.