Chapter 2: Christmas Together

It's been two years since those days and I am just now entering freshman year. Wow, it's pretty cool! I gotta admit, I do miss Greyson. But he's busy with touring and whatever. He hasn't called or wrote or anything since then.

It's almost Christmas and Christina, who goes to school with his sister, heard from someone that he's coming home for the holidays. He always does but has never come to see me. Our families aren't really friends anymore, except for Tanner and William, but they don't have much time to talk to each other. I would love for our families to hang out together like we used to, but I don't think that'll work.

"Brooke!" my little sister Mackenzie called from downstairs. "The phone's for you!"

"Can it wait?" I asked. "i'm in the middle of an important paper!"

"No, it can't." she says. I groan. She's 12, so she's pretty aware that sometimes I need my space. But really? Stopping my homework for a phone call when it's probably someone prank calling or asking to hang out? I'll tell them I'm busy anyway, so why even answer it?

I got downstairs and Mackenzie handed me the phone. "It's him." she smiles, then walks off. Who? Hayden?

"Hayden, I'm really busy right now." I say. 

"Um, this isn't Hayden." someone says.

"Then....who is it?" I ask, even though I know.

"It's Greyson."

--

I went back up to my room in shock. Greyson? He called me? He said he's back in town....and he wants to see me. He remembers me?

I sit on my bed and look up at my One Direction posters. Greyson Chance called me. He wants to see me. Should I finish my paper or go to his house? If I even remember the way there. I haven't really said much about Greyson in the past couple of years except for, oh yeah, he's fine. Just released a new song. Yep, it's still a good song. Yep, he's still my age. That sort of stuff.

But tell them I'm going over to his house?

I went downstairs to see Mackenzie working on her homework and mom helping her. "Mom?" I ask.

"Yes?" she looks up.

"May I go over to Greyson's house?"

She looks surprised. "Greyson? Isn't he across the country?"

"No, he's home for the holidays. He called and wants to see me."

Mackenzie smlles at mom. "It's him, Momma."

"Okay.." mom says. "Did you get your homework done?"

"No, but I can take it there."

"Alright.....just be home by dark, okay?"

"Okay." I said. "Thanks."

I was wearing jeans and a Zelda t-shirt that Christina had let me wear a couple of times, but I only put on a hoodie. I was so used to the cold by now. Last winter I spent so many freezing days outside, listening to music. And some of that music being Greyson's.

I put on my Vans and grabbed my backpack. I went outside and got my bike out of the garage. I pedalled off and tried to remember the way there. Surprisingly, I knew it by heart. I parked my bike in the back like I used to, and Greyson was sitting in the hammock in his backyard waiting for me.

"Hey." he says. He looks up and smiles.

"Hi.." I say, walking over and sitting next to him. "So.....how are you?"

"Good." he says. "How are you?"

"Good.....but I can't help but wonder why you ignored me for two years."