Chapter 2.

Bill's eyes stayed locked with Henry's for what felt like an eternity. Part of Bill was willing him to come over, begging him, really, while the other was screaming, "Look away you stuttering idiot! Look away, mount your bike, and pedal as fast as your legs possibly can." A sigh laced with both disappointment and relief slipped from his lips as Henry quickly averted his gaze and walked towards his friends. Bill wouldn't need to do any explaining today. That was good, life didn't need to change. No need to fix what wasn't broken after all. He and Henry had both agreed that would be best. But even though the older boy was no longer facing him, Bill's eyes were transfixed, watching every movement Henry made as he joined his group. He wondered passively as his own group began to walk what kind of trouble the Bower's gang would be getting into, if Henry would be at school tomorrow with fresh bruises or perhaps a bloody nose. The thoughts made his chest ache.

"This is Houston to Bill. I repeat Houston to Bill. Bill do you copy?" Richie's voice snapped Bill out of his trance and back into the moment. He turned to face his friends, doing his best to not appear too disgruntled. Of course Richie had to butt in. God forbid he have a few moments to his own thoughts around motormouth-Tozier.

"Huh? Di-di-did you say something Rich?"

"And the space shuttle has landed! Welcome back to earth cadet Bill." The black haired boy grinned as he spoke in an attempt at a radio broadcaster voice through his hand. Richie was the type of kid who led authority figures to drink. The class clown whose antics usually didn't amuse anyone but himself. "We thought we'd lost you there for a moment! Good to see you back!"

"Richieee, enooough!" Eddie groaned, sifting through his fanny pack that was practically overflowing with various medications. "Has anyone ever told you all of your voices sound exactly the same? It's grating, obnoxious, and annoying."

Richie gasped in mock hurt before leaning in uncomfortably close to the short brown haired boy, his eyes darting up and down his form, as Eddie's eye twitched. This went on for another minute before the tense silence broke Eddie,

"What Tozier! What is it?"

Eyes narrowed behind thick framed glasses, Richie responded thoughtfully, his pointer finger curled around his chin "I think your mother may need to take you to the doctors."

"What? Why? Is my nose bleeding again? Am I breaking out? Fuck I knew I shouldn't have risked that cafeteria jello today. Mom is always warning me about all of the dye they put in that junk and-WHY ARE YOU STILL STARING AT ME, WHAT IS IT?"

Taking his time to respond, Richie nodded slowly. "No you definitely are going to need to see the doctor. I don't know how else they're going to remove that stick."

"What stick?"

Richie's smile unfurled slowly. It was a smile that a cat, who after minutes of playing with its food was finally ready to go in for the kill, might make. Everyone in Richie's life knew the smile well and dreaded being the recipient of it

"The one up your ass."

Stanley, a tall lanky boy with curly sandy hair, snorted. He didn't want to encourage Richie but was amused nonetheless. Eddie Kasbrak resembled what Bill always imagined a volcano might look like before a catastrophic explosion; pent up and multiple shades of red.

"OH that is so not fucking funny Tozier! You know how many medical issues I have! Do you find the fact that I'm probably not going to live past my twenties something to joke about? Oh haha lets laugh at the sick kid with the obese mom. H i l a r i o u s. You're a real fucking comedian."

"Careful Eds. You get yourself too over excited and you're basically slicing years off your life. After that blow up, I think we're looking more at eighteen, nineteen, rather than twenties."