Part 5

Middleham Castle, Middleham, Wensleydale, North Yorkshire, England

The day after, I woke up at the beaming sun from my window. The curtains had been opened by Elizabeth, who was there to wake me up.

"Courage, little Kathryn, it is time to wake up. Have you forgotten what day expects you?" She asks, smiling, and speaking as she was excited.

I rubbed my eyes and thought at her words. I tried to remember what happened the day before and after some seconds I remembered.

I jumped off the bed and run at the window. The sun was up in the sky and greeting me.

"Today I will ride with my father!" I exclaimed happy and Elizabeth smiled again, but reminding me that, even if I was a child, I was still the daughter of a royal Duke and I had to behave as a lady.

I nodded and run to my wardrobe to choose a dress. I wore an old dress, an emerald green one, but so beautiful.

"Let's go, Elizabeth! I have to go!" I said, more exited and pulling Elizabeth's hand toward the door.

Outside my chamber there were two guards, and I looked at them a bit intimidated, for I never had not even one at home. I calmed myself and Elizabeth laughed softly.

We went to the Great hall of the castle and I saw my father with Lady Anne in his arms. They were speaking softly, I could see their lips moving, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. Were they speaking about me? I still was a bit unsure about Lady Anne's kindness toward me.

One of the guards turned to them and announced me with loud voice. I almost got scared and my heart was beating fast.

My father released the embrace with his wife and smiled widely to me.

"You like to sleep late, don't you, Kathryn?" He asked, coming towards me. I made a curtsy and walk with him to Lady Anne, who was smiling again, while before she seemed almost destroyed.

"I hope you slept well, Kathryn" She wondered and I nodded.

"Yes, my lady" I answered and she nodded back. She was twisting her fingers and when my father made her notice it, she brought them behind her back.

"Well, I think I will go to the nursery, to make sure Edward is awake and well." She said then, taking leave.

My father followed her with his eyes until she disappeared in the corridor that would have took her to the nursery.

We went to the stables, instead, and my father showed me all the horses he had. The stableman made a curtsy seeing us and next to him there was also Ned, the boy I saw with Lady Anne and I ran into the day before.

"Well, how is your family, Jeremy?" He asked to the stableman, leaving me and Ned alone.

I watched him, brushing the horse's mane. He smirked and I blushed.

"What are you looking at, my lady?" He asked and I fixed my gown.

"I'm not a lady..." I précised. I wasn't either used to call as such.

He frowned and smiled, putting the brush away and caressing the horse.

"But you are the Duke's daughter" He insisted and I nodded.

"I'm his illegitimate daughter" I précised again. I looked over my father. He was so friendly with a simple stableman. I always thought that nobles looked at commoners from top to bottom because of their importance, but now, they seemed two old friends.