Christmas Time - Alex Høgh Anderson

Christmas has always been your favorite holiday. Not because of the gifts or shopping but the decorations. Beautiful colors of red, green, and silver or gold everywhere. The trees, ornaments, and strings of lights. It was all so magical. The decorations alone put you in the holiday spirit.

Your love for Christmas only grew when you get Alex. He loved Christmas just as much as you. Wearing festive sweaters in October and even planning how he wanted to decorate the house by November. It was one of the many things you loved about him. But when he spoke about the Christmas markets in Denmark you couldn't help but feel jealous.

Going to another country and see the market was one of your dreams. Ever since you say the German one on the travel channel you fell in love. You dreamed about the Christmas market but never had the opportunity to go.

The first Christmas you and Alex were together, you stayed in the states while he visited family in Denmark. The second Christmas he was busy filming for Vikings which was tough but you still called one another on Christmas Day. It was better than any gift he could have bought you.

Now this year you had no plans and Alex was in the states. You didn't think to bring up the idea to travel especially overseas since it is the busiest time of year.

The two of you did the traditional holiday activities; baking cookies, decorating the tree together, and driving around to look at the lights. But something was missing and Alex knew there was one thing you wanted to do above all else.

So as you slept that night, he stayed for a few extra hours for your surprise.

When you woke up the next morning, Alex had breakfast and coffee made which was always a sign he either did something bad or wanted something.

"What is it?" You ask and Alex already knew what you were hinting at.

"Well, for your present this year I decided to go a little above the price range." Alex tells you, still being discreet.

"Sweetheart, you know I hate it when you spend so much money on me." You sigh, running a hand over your hair.

Alex puts his hands up in defense. "I know, I know. But I had to do this," he reaches over on the counter grabbing the small wrapped box, "Open it." He instructs.

With an eyebrow quirked, you rip the wrapping paper revealing the white box underneath. Opening the box now you see the two plane tickets to Denmark. The wind is knocked out of you. You look to Alex but find it difficult to find words.

"We're going to the Christmas Market!" He exclaims.

"Oh, wow. Oh, wow!" You exclaim in return.

Dropping the tickets, you practically leap into Alex's arms and hug with such force that he is taken aback by your sudden strength. Still, he hugs you close to him. The two of you sharing joyful chuckles.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." You whisper to Alex, meaning it with all your heart.

"Of course, baby," he kisses your temple then pokes your sides, "Okay! We have to go pack! Let's go!" Alex releases you then skips to the bedroom.

You wonder who is more excited now and laugh to yourself.

**

During the flight, you can barely contain your excitement. You take a short nap so you won't be cranky when you land but nothing could ruin your mood.

Alex thinks you are too cute. This is your first time visiting Denmark, his home country. Every since you two first arrived at the airport back home he cannot stop taking pictures of you weather it be on his phone or professional camera.

"I just want to remember this trip forever." He told you at the gate before getting on the plane.

All you could do was roll your eyes at your boyfriend's passion.

Now, you were landing and you couldn't wait to see the city and Christmas market. So, right after you two grabbed the luagge, you rush to Alex's apartment. After taking quick showers and changing into warmer clothes, Alex leads you around the city of Copenhagen.

He brought you to his favorite spots of cafes and restaurants. He tells you the stories behind several historical landmark. This city alone is filled with such culture it baffles you.

**

As the sun begins to set, you and Alex take the bus to the Christmas market. You can see the lights before you even arrive. When you step off the bus the aromas of baked goods and hot chocolate fill your nostrils.

Alex leads you through the market, pouting out the traditional Danish decor and foods. Even behind the simplest of things there are stories.

There are so many vendors, decorations, and other holidays items it really is like you are inside a dream. A dream from which you never want to wake.

You feel like a little kid again and you are sure Alex does too as he guides you through the market. He snaps pictures of you standing in front of lights, taking bites or sips of your first Danish cuisine, and reacting to the lovely handmade items that display vendors.

You can't help but pick out a few small gifts to bring home to your family and close friends. Things more meaningful than some mainstream gift at the mall.

Deciding to take a small break, you and Alex grab some hot chocolate then sit on a bench under some heating lamps. The first sip of your hot chocolate makes you swear you are tasting a small drop of heaven. It is the best hot drink you have ever tasted. 

"Are you having fun, min elskede?" Alex asks you.

You face him, a beaming smile spreading across your lips. "You made my dream come true. I am having the time of my life and spending it with you makes it that more special." You lean forward to kiss him.

Alex returns the kiss. Your lips warming him in this cold, winter night. "I couldn't imagine spending this with anyone else." Alex kisses you again.

After the short rest, you and Alex end the night by watching the light show. It puts the ones in America to shame. It makes Disney's light show seem basic.

During the show, Alex takes your hand in his but you don't look away. Not until he places a kiss on your cheek and whispers in your ear. "I have one more gift for you." He tells you.

"Baby, you didn't have to get me anything else." You insist.

But Alex only smiles and reaches into his pocket anyway. You gasp when you see the small velvet box. Your wide eyes meeting his.

"One day, I want to spend every Christmas with you for the rest of our lives. This is my promise to you that I will always make your dreams come true weather it be a Christmas market or simply putting lights up around the house." Alex explains.

He opens the velvet box revealing a simple but beautiful promise ring. The band is white gold with your birthstone in the shape of a heart placed in the center.

You look from the ring to Alex, again finding it difficult to form words. How can one man make you speechless within less than two days.

Without saying a word, you lift your left hand for Alex. Giving him permission to slide on the promise ring. Alex caresses your hand in his as he slides on the ring. It fits perfectly.

You kiss Alex with such passion and love that it takes his breath away. Never before have you loved someone as much as you love Alex. You cannot wait to one day be engaged to him.

When you pull away from the kiss, your left hand caresses Alex's cheek. You look into his eyes so he knows your words to be true. "You are the only thing I will ever want for Christmas, forever." You kiss his nose.

"I love you, Y/N." Alex tells you, kissing your lips one more time.

"I love you, Alex. I love you more than Christmas." You half joke making both of you laugh.

Your head rests on Alex's shoulder as you continue to watch the light show. You silently thank Alex for taking so many pictures today since this will be a holiday season you will never want to forget.