Part 91 - The Royal Non-Wedding, Part 1

Start from the beginning

"But I like that part!"

"I know you do. But I think you've got to throw the ladies a bone here. I bet if you come to them with a designer and sketches in mind, they will give in on the horses. Just try it and see. Plus—" Eugenie gave me a devilish grin that reminded me of Harry, "There's nothing that says you can't make your own dress for the going-away."

Her advice was wise and I knew it. I stewed over it for a few more days, discussed it with Harry, and then I went back to the ladies, prepared to compromise, bringing a reluctant Harry with me for backup.

The Ladies were prepared as well, and after some tea and pastries and small talk about flowers and such we got down to the negotiations. Harry had coached me on how to approach the discussion, so I took a deep breath and dived in.

"I've realized that you are right about the dress," I said, trying to sound sweet and conciliatory while my hands were balled into fists under the table. "I think I would like to bring a designer on board to make the dress, with my input, of course. It will need to adapt to riding horseback, as Harry and I still plan to ride from the chapel to the reception."

The Ladies exchanged glances, pleased at this. The eldest lady, with the fanciest dress—obviously the designated speaker of the group—leaned forward.

"I'm sure we can help you to find a suitable designer," she said, with an emphasis on suitable.

Harry gripped my knee, out of sight of the Ladies, silently urging me not to take the bait, and I kept quiet.

"Her Majesty is willing to let you ride horseback after the ceremony," Head Lady announced, as if bestowing a peerage, "if your dress will permit you to ride side saddle."

"Side saddle?" My voice shot up at this request. "Is that still a thing?"

"Her Majesty rode sidesaddle during Trooping the Colour for many years," Head Lady shifted into her schoolmarm voice, as if as a Canadian I was not educated enough in royal protocol to know this fact.

"I don't know how to ride side saddle," I said, looking at Harry.

"It would look much nicer with the dress," Harry conceded. "I'm sure it's not too difficult to learn. We can find someone to teach you."

"And Driz?" I said doubtfully.

"If Drizzle was smart enough to learn to play polo, she can learn to carry a side saddle. Besides, she's only going to be walking."

"I'm sure Her Majesty will loan you both horses out of her stable, if needed."

I got it. If the Queen thought it would look more proper to ride side saddle, I would learn how. Besides, I wouldn't be sewing my own dress any more, so I should have plenty of time to work with Driz until we had mastered it.

"Her Majesty would also like to loan you a tiara to wear for the ceremony," Head Lady announced. "After you've finalized your designs for the dress, we can look at some of the tiaras and choose one that will complement your gown."

The loan of a tiara was also a sign of approval. Harry caught my eye and nodded briefly, and I said, "That is most generous of Her Majesty. I appreciate the offer."

Game, set, match. The Ladies all began to smile and offer names of designers, passing the pastries around again, and Harry took his exit, leaving me to work out the details. It wasn't ideal, but we'd gotten the most we were going to get. To keep peace in the family, I was willing to concede points to the Queen. I had to be.

And now it was all over but the ceremony itself. My father was tucked into one of the best hotels in London, waiting for his chance to walk with me into the chapel in his fine new suit. My stepmother, now all agog at the reality of being close to royalty, was more attentive to me than she had been in years. Everything and everyone was ready, except me.

Oh, all the clothes and flowers and arrangements were ready. The diamond-encrusted tiara sat waiting in its special velvet box, along with the rest of the jewelry that cost more than I could even imagine. But I was still nervous about my role in the ceremony, of appearing on camera before millions of people, in what I thought should have been something private between me and Harry and our families.

"It's going to be fine, you know."

Harry wrapped his arms around my waist and I leaned back into his protective embrace. "What are you doing up this early?" I asked.

"I was going to ask you the same thing."

"I just couldn't sleep."

"You will look beautiful, and everyone loves a bride. Even one that's already married," he said with a laugh.

I turned around so I could give him a kiss. "You know what the best part of this is?" I asked.

"Riding Drizzle? Showing off your mad side saddle skills?"

"That's the second best part. The best part," I took his hand and pulled him towards the bed, "is that we can do this before the ceremony."

He laughed. "If it puts a smile on your face, I'm all for it."