The Hero

Next chapter: Jan 8 2020 (For Patrons: Jan 3, 2020).

Please let me know what you think about the chapter/story so far! Merry Christmas!!! - Allie :)

.

The little princess sat by the window with her chin on her palm, taking in the magnificent view of the beautiful kingdom of Theros. She grew up with her mother's fairytale about a princess locked up in a high tower and a prince showing up just in time to save the damsel in distress. And yet, there she was, locked up in a high tower and no prince charming was on his way to rescue her.

She should have been outside, picking flowers under the sun, rolling down the hill and lying on the green grass. She should be allowed to do the things a normal child loved to do. But now it occurred to her that she wasn't a normal child. She was a princess whose job was to follow the rules; and by breaking them, she not only caused trouble for herself but also for others. Maybe it would be for the best if she just disappeared.

Her family would be better off without her. Her mother would probably miss her, but the queen would eventually grow used to her absence. If she left, no one would have to waste their time worrying about her and punishing her and bearing her father's anger for her. And she would be free to do whatever she wanted. Oh, what a great vision that was!

But a dream was only a dream. She knew she could never escape from this life. She had never gone past the curtain walls by herself and for certain would get lost, starve and die alone if she did. The only choice she had left was to endure until she was old enough to marry a prince, and only then would she be able to leave her kingdom to start a new life.

She sighed at the thought, gazing at the cloudless blue sky while imagining her hero showing up on his beautiful white horse.

The door creaked open suddenly and Reyna jolted right up when she heard a voice that didn't belong to her maid.

"Reyn."

"Uncle!"

The little princess hopped away from the window and ran right into King Edgar's arms. He picked her up, holding her tightly and stroking her hair; his touch was just as gentle as her mother's, and for a second, she forgot that she was being punished.

"God, you're growing up so fast! You're so heavy now!"

"I'm taller too!"

"You are!" Edgar laughed when the little girl wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him on the cheek.

"Did the guards see you come in, uncle? My father doesn't allow—"

"It's okay, darling. You are now free to leave your chamber."

Reyna's pale grey eyes brightened as soon as she heard. "Really? How?!"

Edgar put his niece down and breathed out a laugh as he got down on his knees in front of her. "It was a shame you weren't there to see our duel today. I asked your father to forgive you if I won, and I did. So you're free to go."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" The little princess said joyously, giving her uncle another tight hug.

"You're welcome." He smiled. "Anything for my favourite girl."

Despite the love Edgar had for his niece, the feud between the Callistos and Connells had existed since time began. Every Northern king had wanted to invade Theros, for this kingdom was not only large and rich, but its people were also more well-educated and skilled.

The Connells, who had been the rulers of the South for all that time, preferred peace but they wouldn't mind shedding blood and taking blood to protect their land. Had it not been for the marriage of Princess Meira and Prince Willem, the two houses might still be each other's enemies up till this day.