Chapter Ten

James stormed down the hallway. Why is everyone so loud tonight? He thought to himself. He threw open the doors of the kitchen to find no one. He growled as he continued his search for Ms. Grendich. As he swiftly strode threw the halls he saw smoke coming from a doorway and rushed over praying there wasn't a fire. But when he reached the door he smelt lavender not smoke and he realized it was only steam. He relaxed glad there was no fire. They must have been getting ready for bath day, that's why it was so noisy. But there was no noise now. As he was about to open the door to see if Ms. Grendich was inside preparing the baths, he saw someone through the slightly open doorway. His eyes widened as he saw a beautiful naked woman standing near a tub. He looked away quickly ashamed he was peaking but then he heard her moan and he couldn't help but look again. She pulled her hair out of her bun and it draped over the side of the tub. He wished he could see her face but her back was facing him. She ran the water over her arms before reaching over the side to grab a bar of soap and that's when he saw a glimpse of her face. He stepped back shocked. It was... Emilia? He began to pace in front of the doorway wondering how this grubby clumsy girl could be such a beautiful mature woman and then he began to wonder how he could ever erase that image from his mind. As he grew more and more anxious he suddenly heard her start to hum. His back now faced the doorway but he knew that song anywhere. Ms. Grendich has sung that to him to help him sleep when he was little.

Sleep little prince and close your eyes
Tomorrow will bring you a big surprise
The world is yours to hold
So take your hands and make your mold
Sleep little prince and dream sweet dreams
Because this world... is not what it seems

Taken aback by the song and the memory's he hadn't realized he had started to lean on the open door. It creaked loudly and Emilia stopped humming abruptly. Afraid she would find him standing there he began to quickly walk down the hall when he practically ran into Ms. Grendich.
"Sire!?" She exclaimed, "what- what are you doing down here?" she asked shocked to see him on the lower levels of the castle. He paused for a moment trying to think of why he had come down here but he had forgotten the reason so he quickly made a new one up.
"I need a woman." he blurted out, then quickly straightened and cleared his throat. "I mean, I would like a companion for tonight... Like you suggested... Earlier." He said trying to sound confident but feeling more embarrassed and frazzled than anything.
"Of course my Lord, do you wish for anyone specific?" she asked, curious at his state but not questioning him.
"Emilia.." he mumbled thinking about her standing near the tub naked. Ms. Grendich's eyes widened and back straightened. And the King quickly corrected himself.
"I-I mean- anyone!" he spoke loudly. "In fact- maybe a-a- blonde! Yes, a tall blonde girl."
"A tall blonde girl...?" Ms. Grendich asked with a raised brow.
"yes! Have her come to my chambers immediately." he commanded, trying to sound more confident than he felt.
"They have baths tonight sire, perhaps I'll send her up after?" she suggested.
"Very well then. I uh- I'll be in my chambers then... Waiting. For a.. tall.. blonde." he spoke hesitantly, regretting his choice of an excuse. But he couldn't turn back now so he stuck with it and nodded his head to Grendich who bowed and he quickly walked back to his chambers, regretting the whole thing.

An hour later a knock came at the door. And the king summoned them in. Ms. Grendich entered the room with a tall slender blonde girl behind her.
"This is Maggy, your highness." she said as the girl bowed. "Is there anything else I can do for you sire?" she asked, examining his face. He looked guilty, but she couldn't understand it. This wasn't the first companion and it probably wouldn't be the last. Why was this one so different? And why was he acting so weird?
"That is all, thank you Grendich." he nodded with his arms still held behind his back as he looked at Maggy who did as she was told and only looked at the floor.
"Very well then. Goodnight your highness." she bowed her head and left the room. As she closed the door she turned to the guard and gave him strict instructions to not let anyone disturb the king.

The King looked at the girl standing before him debating if he should just send her away or not. She was tall and blonde. She wore a long silky robe under her coat which she still had on and she had a little flower in her hair. She had freckles on her face and rosy checks. She was pretty... But she's not Emilia. He decided he needed to get that serving girl out of his mind one way or another.
"Take it off." he commanded, he was going to forget he ever saw Emilia in that bath room.