Chapter 176: Getting Along with Sima Hui

Sima Hui didn't arrange another tent for Chu Lian. Firstly, it was already quite late. Secondly, even if she arranged for another tent, it wouldn't be as comfortable as her own.

The two of them were women and the soldiers outside were all female too, so it was much more convenient than it was at the Right Wing Army's camp.

Currently, it was the coldest hour of night, where even just sticking a hand outside meant risking possible frostbite. In Sima Hui's tent, however, it was as warm as spring.

Chu Lian had visited the tent once before, but that was when the owner hadn't been around.

This time, when she followed Xiaoju into the tent, Sima Hui personally came over to welcome her in.

Sima Hui had already changed out of the military uniform she normally wore during the day. All she wore now was a loose and comfortable light pink set of inner clothes. Her ink black hair was let loose to fall over her shoulders while two locks of her fringe framed the sides of her face, softening her bold features and adding a hint of womanly charm.

Sima Hui was taller than Chu Lian by half an entire head when they stood beside each other. She walked behind Chu Lian and warmly said, "Honoured Lady, please come over here and have a seat. Warm yourself up by the fire." Following that, she ordered Xiaoju to serve some tea.

Chu Lian followed Sima Hui and sat down next to the brazier. "General Sima, you don't have to stand on ceremony with me. I don't drink sencha, so Xiaoju won't have to busy herself with brewing tea. You don't have to call me Honoured Lady either; you can just use my name."

Sima Hui smiled. "Then you don't have to call me General Sima either, Lian'er. I'm older than you by a few years, so why don't you call me Sister Hui like my cousins do?"

Chu Lian hadn't expected Sima Hui to get so familiar, but it would be impolite to reject her now. Thus, she nodded and said, "Then I'll be thick-skinned with you, Sister Hui."

This tent was indeed outfitted for a female general. Everything in Sima Hui's tent was of good quality. Even though there wasn't much space, the furniture within was exquisite. There was even a small incense burner in a corner of the tent, which gave off a faint, watery fragrance that calmed the mind and relaxed the body.

Compared with He Changdi's ordinary tent, the difference was like heaven and earth.

However, for some reason, although Sima Hui's tent was very cosy, Chu Lian just didn't feel as comfortable as she was in He Changdi's.

Sima Hui ordered Xiaoju and two more female soldiers to add another bed next to her own. Wenqing and Wenlan set it up with thick bedding and a fleece blanket, and that was to be Chu Lian's bed for the night.

Chu Lian had the habit of sleeping in, especially in such a cold place like the north. Back in Liangzhou's He Estate, she would sleep till noon before getting up.

However, this morning, the moment Chu Lian heard some movement from Sima Hui right next to her, she woke right up.

Sima Hui was already standing behind the privacy screen and changing into her set of silver armour. Chu Lian sat up on the bed, a little groggy. Sima Hui noticed Chu Lian getting up and how dazed she looked. Any hint of the intelligence she had seen yesterday was gone.

Chu Lian's soft hair was slightly disheveled from sleep, and her cheeks were red. Her young age and small body size also gave Sima Hui the urge to treat her like a younger cousin.

Unbeknownst to Sima Hui, her tone now carried a trace of warmth as she said to Chu Lian, "It's still early. Why don't you continue sleeping, Lian'er? I'm going out to train my soldiers."