Chapter 11

“Well you showed up!” Liam muttered as I sat down.

“I asked you here?! You’re being a dick and you don’t even know what I’m gonna say, Liam!” I retorted and he shrugged. “I’m sorry. I am so sorry that I hid that from you. The reason I hid it was because I didn’t think that you would understand but in hindsight, it was a shitty idea!”

“It was a shitty idea. I would’ve understood if you told me that they told you to do it!”

“No you wouldn’t, you would’ve said “We’ll you ain’t gonna get back in the army so what’s the point” or something.”

“You underestimate me but I guess. You have to admit, it’s a pretty shit excuse though!”

“I know…” I mumbled and stared at the floor.

“Oh fuck! There’s more, isn’t there…Let me guess, the idea of having my child repulsed you so much that you had your ovaries removed?”

“It’s not always about you Liam. Sometimes it has nothing to do with you. It’s not your child I don’t want, it’s any child…I can’t…I just can’t…”

“You can’t? What the fuck does that mean, Pippa?”

“I can’t tell you…I want to but I can’t…I don’t have the words to make you understand…” My voice quivered as I thought back to that horrible day.

“Pippa...What happened?” He sounded worried, I shook my head and fought back the shaking that was creeping over me. “Pippa? Tell me what happened! As best you can and I will try my hardest to understand…” He moved his chair and put his hand on mine.

“You promise you won’t get pissed off?” he nodded. “Remember on our third tour when I got ill at Bastion? Throwing up all the time. ”

“Shit…” He sighed suddenly realising. “What the fuck did you do?”

“Nothing at first. I had no idea. Then when I started getting sick, Charles told me to go to see Jackie because we were friends and I thought she could give me something to stop it, you know like anti-sickness if it was like to do with the heat change. Anyway, she did some tests and she said ‘Well you’re pregnant, what the fuck are you gonna do?’ and I told her I didn’t know but not to say anything. Because if they found out it would be game over and I’d be sent home. I swore Charles to secrecy too.”