Chapter 1: Starstruck

April 10, 1984

My name is Maria and, I was just 22 when I got my first job working as housekeeper at the Four Seasons hotel in San Francisco, California, but it was April 10, 1984, the exact day that changed my life. Duran Duran was in town, I wasn't really a big fan, but I heard about the band before and thought they were really cute, also their music was really fun. I remember watching their videos on MTV all the time. That morning, it was difficult to get to the hotel because there was a sea of girls waiting to get a glimpse of their idols. I had to go through the kitchen. My day started normally: cleaning toilets, changing sheets and towels.

Suddenly, I was called to one of their rooms because they needed clean towels. I knocked on the door and a voice from inside said: "Come on in, the door is open." I opened and there he was; this gorgeous man with that strange hairstyle, sitting on the bed with just a white sheet covering him below the waist while was holding a glass of wine. My face was probably red, I gave him a shy look and put the towels on the bed.

- Here are your towels, sir – I said timidly

- Thank you.

I was about to leave, when he called me.

- Wait, what's your name?

- Maria, sir.

- Beautiful name,

- Sort of. It doesn't feel like it when 90% of the women in your country are called Maria.

He smiled.

- That's like being called John in England, then.

- So, that's your name.

- Yes, John Taylor, and I am guessing you are not a fan of my band.

- I am, I mean, I know some of your songs, I just didn't know your name.

- That's all right.  - He pauses for a second to sip his drink - Do you have a boyfriend, Maria?

- You're quite nosy, aren't you?

- The answer should be yes or no.

- No, I don't. How about you?

- I don't have a boyfriend, but I do have a girlfriend.

- She must be very beautiful.

- She is, but is that enough?

- No, I don't think looks are enough.

- How old are you, Maria?

- I'm 22, sir.

- Please, just call me John.

- Is there anything else that you need, John?

- No, for now. What time does your shift end?

- I get off at 7 PM, sir, I mean, John.

- Would you like to join me for dinner?

I smiled shyly and looked the other way.

- Is that a yes?

- I'd like to, but I don't have clothes to change.

- You look fine.

- In this uniform?

- Yes, I think is sexy

- Alright, Rockstar, you win. But, just dinner.

- Bring some more clean towels after you shift, can you please?