Chapter 10

Caroline's P.O.V.

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I picked it up and looked at the ID. On my phone was a picture of my ex. I screamed and hurled the phone away from me. Why? Why was Jason calling? When we broke off our relationship I had been dealing with a depression. I didn't really let myself go down the path of suicide, but the only thing keeping me sane was Jason. But when we broke up, I started crying myself to sleep each and every night.
Suddenly the door whipped open. It was Alex. I blushed realizing I was only wearing small silk pajamas that I had found in my closet. They were small and barely covered myself. I brought the comforter over my body. Then I realized he was shirtless and in boxers. That made me go crimson.
     "What happened? I heard a scream." He looked around the room and saw my phone, still ringing, by my closet. The screen was cracked badly but you could make out Jason's face. Alex looked at me, confusion written all over his features.
     "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. It's just...nothing." I stated quickly. Alex didn't look convinced. "I swear nothing happened. I was just shocked when I looked at my phone. Instinct really." Alex turned and picked up my phone. He looked at Jason's picture before declining the call.
     "Who was it?" He asked simply, tossing my phone to me. I caught it easily.
     "My ex. We dated in high school and when we broke up it was hard. I had been going through a lot at the time of our break up. It wasn't like he cheated on me. We just wanted different things. But still, it hurt." Telling him this made me feel vulnerable, but I refused to let it show.
     "I see. However, why did you scream upon seeing his face and name?" I shrugged.
     "Not sure. Just it's been awhile. I didn't know he still had my number. We never really talked after our break up. I think I'll call him back." Alex seemed to deflate but then returned to his usual cold demeanor. It was so slight I thought I'd imagined it.
     "Alright then. I'll leave you to it." He walked out swiftly leaving me gaping at him. What the hell just happened?

Time Skip

   I looked at my phone. I had punched in Jason's number, but I hadn't pressed the call button yet. I was nervous as to what he wanted. I sucked in a deep breath and pressed call. I put the phone to my ear and waited for him to pick up. Part of me wanted him to pick up and the other part of me wanted the opposite. He picked up.
     "Hey Jason." I said quietly into the phone.
     "Hey Caroline! Long time no see. Well I guess hear. How've you been?" He asked me jovially.
     "Been good. Could always be better, but good. How about you?"
     "Awesome actually. I just got a huge promotion from my boss. It's real exciting." I smiled at hearing that he was doing good. Though I did love him in high school and was heart broken about our break up, I still cared for him.
     "I'm really glad to hear that Jason. So tell me, why did you call me earlier?" I tried my best not to sound like it bothered me. Like I was angry. I wasn't. But the question was a hard one to ask.
     "Right. Um I saw you on the tabloids, and you were with a guy." What?
     "And that means?" I asked, confusion corrupting my voice.
     "I was confused. All your life, you never had interest in any of that, but now you're dating Alexander Wilson. What's happened to you?" Jason's voice conveyed hurt. I looked at the ground.
     "It's complicated. You see I started working as his personal assistant. Then he was having problems securing a deal with some Italians and the only way to go through with the deal was if he were married. So now I am married to man he doesn't love me and I don't love him. Kind of hard but it's good. He's going to pay me a great amount of money and then my family and I won't be living on a thread, I'll be able to give Veronica the life she truly deserves." I said eagerness in my voice. "I know it's sounds like he's buying me, but it'll help my family."
     "I guess I understand it. And I'm happy for you. Finally, some good luck coming your way!" I laughed. Jason never changed. He still sounded like that care free boy he had been in high school. Fun and energetic. "Now my question. Why did you decline the call?" My eyes widened. Really? Why would he ask that?
     "That wasn't me. When you called my instinct was throw the phone across the room. Alex came in and declined it. Not sure why though." I told Jason.
     "Sounds like he's jealous. Does he know we dated?"
     "Yeah. He does. He just asked why I screamed and threw it. Our little love story came tumbling out." I was embarrassed to have told Alex about my previous love life. Especially since it was so private to me.
     "He's definitely jealous. However, I also wanted to call you for a different reason. I'm coming to New York. I thought I could visit you."
     "That sounds awesome! We could meet up at Starbucks. On Fifth Avenue." I was giddy inside. Seeing Jason would be a good change. "Do you think we could visit my family? They'd love to see you. And me."
     "Sounds like a plan. I'll be there is 30. See ya soon!" I smiled as I hung up and ran to my closet. I went through my clothes that were more simple. In the end I chose a pair of jeans, a black crop top, and a blue flannel to go over it. I put on some white sneakers. I put my hair up in a pony tail as well.
My Outfit:

   After checking myself in the mirror before walking out

   After checking myself in the mirror before walking out. I grabbed my phone and wallet, shoving them in my pocket. I was about to exit the mansion when I felt a presence behind me. I turned around and saw Alex standing there. Watching me.
    "Where are you going off to?" He asked. For some reason, he sounded angry. But why?
     "I'm seeing a friend then I'm going to visit my family." I told him, hoping he'd let me go. I stood there awkwardly and he looked at me.
     "I'm guessing you're seeing that Jason guy." I blushed and started wringing my fingers together. Why did he sound so angry? "I'll let you go. But I expect you to be here by 6. We have to discuss something." I nodded and left the house without another word.

Ok I'm really happy with what this story is turning into. As I said before I had originally been writing another version which turned out awful and one of the worst things I've ever written. Anyway I hope y'all are having a great day. See ya soon!
~Marissa-Meyer-Fan 😛