Prologue: Welcome to St. Hermelin High!

He shook his head slowly, closing in the gap between his arm and his head.

"Wakey wakey, students!" The PA system declared. "It's time for a meeting in the gym! Please be there in at least 5 minutes!"

He lifted his head up, now looking around.

He was in a classroom. Had he slept in? No, that would have been really out of character for him.

(5... Minutes?)

He blinked, then dashed out of his seat for the door.

(I only have 5 minutes!)

----

Upon entering the gym, he bent over breathing heavily.

The run there was a lot longer than he thought it would have been, since he didn't really know the layout.

He coughed a little, before looking up.

There were multiple other people there with him, meaning they probably already got the message on the PA system. They were diverse, and a lot of them didn't even look like high school students.

He stood up, and only then did he realize everyone was looking at him.

He blinked quickly, and looked away.

"Now that everyone's here..." A voice started, supposedly coming from nowhere. "Let's get started!"

The curtains to the stage opened, revealing a... black and white bear?

"Is that... a bear?" A delinquent-looking boy asked.

"I'm not a bear!" It squawked almost immediately after.

"I... I think it is." Another boy, wearing a yellow had, replied.

"Ugh, you kids." The bear shook it's head. "I'm not a bear! My name is Monokuma, and I'm your headmaster!"

"Headmaster...?" A bland looking boy asked, pulling a lighter out of his pocket. "Hmph. I was under the impression that Hanya was supposed to be our headmaster."

"Well, be glad he is no more!" Monokuma laughed. "I'm your headmaster now, and I have a few announcements for you!"

"What sort of announcements?" An elegant girl to his right asked.

"Glad you asked! First of all," The bear started, his cackling ceased. "If anyone attacks me, your headmaster, you will get a punishment! I won't tell you what kind, of course."

(Punishment.... I shouldn't get too involved in that.)

"Second of all, you're all trapped here!"

The entire gym went quiet for a few moments, before all the people took in what Monokuma had said. The first one to break the silence was a man with a grey and red 3-piece suit, followed by sunglasses. He looked like the boy with the lighter from earlier.

"That's complete blasphemy!" He said. "This is a school, there's no way we're trapped here!"

"Oh~? But you are. You can check later, for now I'm still talking."

The man looked irritated by Monokuma's words, but calmed down.

"Third, there is a way to leave the school." Monokuma's voice got very serious, and no one really dared to ask how they could leave. Fortunately, Monokuma already started on that topic.

"There's only one way, so listen closely." The bear leaned into the mic.

"...You have to kill, and get away with it."