Chapter 3

Desabella Pov

It was late the next evening and I havent left my room. Im sad, scared and furious.  I stayed the night here on weekends and over the summer so they made the guest room my bedroom. I was lying on my big galaxy bed, thoughts swirling in my head. Why did dad have uncle Lukas pick me up from school and not do it himeself? Why didnt he tell me mom was sick? Why didnt he come to make sure i was okay?! I was furious at him. I was sure he cared about mom more than me. "I HATE DAD" I yelled, tears streaming down my face. Suddenly someone knocked on my bedroom door. "Desabelle? You okay sweetie?" The person asked. It was uncle Lukas. "NO! IM NOT OKAY!" I sob, more tears ran down my cheeks.  He opened my bedroom door and walked over to me, sitting down on my bed next to me.

"What's wrong Desi?"

"I HATE DAD! HE CARES ABOUT MOM MORE THAN ME!"

Lukas hugged me and rubbed my back gently. "Desi dont say that. You and I both know that your dad loves you and your mom equally. I think your just upset over what happened to your mom." I felt even more guilt for saying that. I began to cry again, burying my head into lukas shoulder. 

"Im sorry! Im an idiot! I shouldn't have said that! Im so sorry!"

Lukas continued to rub my back gently, still trying to comfort me. "Shhhh shhhh. Its ok desi its ok. I know you didn't mean it. It's okay. Shhh" he said comforting. After a while I calmed down and lifted my head off his shoulder. "You okay now Desi?" Lukas asked. I nodded which caused him to smile at me. "Good to hear. Now you should get some rest. You've had a really rough day." He said. I nodded again and walked over to the dresser,  grabbing my pajamas. Lukas walked back downstairs so I could change. I put on my pajamas, brushed my hair and pulled it into a loose ponytail before going back downstairs. I walked into the living room and see Lukas sitting on the couch reading a book. I sit down next to him. He notices me and puts his book on the coffee table in front of him. "Whats up Desi?" He asked.

"Nothing really. But i wanted to ask you something."

"Okay. What do you wanna ask me?"

"Why did dad have you pick me up and not do it himself?"

Lukas smiled sadly as he hugged me. "Your dad is really worried about your mom. We all are. He already lost Reuben. If he lost you or your mother, I-I don't know what he'd do. I smiled sadly too as I thought about how dad reacted to Reuben's death. He looked horrified and completly shattered at the same time. I realized how worried he looked when mom was sneezing and coughing. I had believed her when she said she just had a cold. I now know she was lying. I dont know a lot about withersickness but I know its fatal, which means mom could die. I pull away from the hug and tell Lukas I was gonna go to bed.

"Alright. I'll be down here if you need me."

"Okay goodnight Lukas."

"Goodnight Desibelle"

I walk upstairs and get into bed, but I don't go to sleep. Instead I lie awake in bed, thoughts swirling in my head. Is mom gonna be okay? Is dad gonna stay with mom until she's better? Will mom die?! All of a sudden I remembered the last thing I said to mom before today. It was Thursday night and mom and I were arguing over a guy I liked. "I hate you! I never want to see you again! Get out of my life!" I had screamed at mom before storming to my bedroom, slamming the door behind me. I couldnt believe it. Mom might die and the last thing I had said to her was get out of my life. I slammed my head into the pillow, crying silently.

I ended up crying myself to sleep.