prologue :: an essay

(Y/N) (L/N)

Professor Jane Doe

Personal Psychology AB

X September 20XX

Quick-Write Prompt: In one page or less, write about the biggest mistake that you've ever made in your teenage years, and how it affected you as a person.

If I wanted to tell you about the biggest mistake that I had ever made while I was a teenager completely, I would be able to write a book. (In reality, I kind of did.)

After a string of unfortunate events in my childhood and early teenage years, I found myself shipwrecked in a little town in Japan called Morioh. It was a few miles away from a much more major Japanese city, and the majority of people living there were farmers, small business owners, retired office workers, tourists, or people from the military base nearby. That was me.

Growing up, I never really had a place I would always move back to. My father was often deployed to other countries, and he liked to take us with him. I can easily say I've almost been to every end of the earth. I am American, but I never even stepped foot on American soil until I was about 10. Morioh was the first time I'd ever felt like I had a home.

I lived off military benefits and what I could scrape up with my job as a mechanic, but even so, I felt like that place was my rock.

The problem started when I was in high school, when I associated myself with a bunch of people with very odd talents. They were my first friends, but they were also the first people to let me experience what a broken nose hurts like, and what having a pit of despair feels like when you can't do anything about a situation you caused. It was one peculiar summer that we all finished on top and changed our lives and the town for the better.

So about my mistake - I attached myself to one person. And my mistake wasn't that I let them love me, it was the fact that I had to let them go. Eventually, I could no longer live in Morioh. In one day, I left behind ten years of residency and moved back to the United States.

That was my mistake.

It ruined me for a good year, to the point where I couldn't function properly or even look at my own weathered eyes in the mirror. Even though it sounds cliché, I (literally) still bear the same scars I earned in the summer of 1999.

If you gave me a time machine, I would still go back and do it all over again because that was, without a doubt, the best period of my life.