Chapter 1

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

Freddie and Mary Austin are already dating and living together.

You and Brian have graduated from Imperial College, London, you having a degree in Mathematics, and Brian, a degree in Astrophysics.

Roger is studying Dentistry at the same college as you and Brian and has a part time job at Freddie's clothes stall.

John has not yet joined the band.

"Darlings, I just accidentally adopted two kittens!" Freddie exclaims joyously, making Brian drop the book he was reading and sit bolt upright in his chair. Brian notices that Freddie is carrying a large brown box and is beaming from cheek to cheek.

"Bloody hell, Fred! What'll Mary say?" Roger spoke, whipping his head around from the television and boggling at Freddie, who was now cooing down at the tiny balls of fluff that were huddled against the side of the box.

"I'm sure she won't mind! We briefly discussed getting a pet just the other night, and I seen these two little darlings all by themselves in a shop window on my way over and I had to take them! You know me by now, darlings!" Freddie jested and he and Roger started laughing. Brian reached into the box and brought the two tiny bodies up to his chest, as they nestled into his hair, a ginger kitten on one shoulder and a grey one on the other.

"Fred, you know you're going to have to care for these two! They're both freezing! I'll get a blanket and warm up some milk!" Brian gently reprimanded, standing up and tucking the kittens inside his jumper and moving into the kitchen, causing Roger and Freddie to chortle.

"Now, darlings, why I was coming over here in the first place. Elton's asked us to make an appearance at his concert tonight, nothing too big, but he says one of his crew plays bass, and he's recommended him to us. The name's Deacon." Freddie moved his eyebrows as he spoke.

"Maybe this time it'll work out, if you don't try to shag his sister, Roger..." Brian said.

(Your point of view)

You stumbled behind the cash register, posed and ready to take the next customer's order, when you look up and see a familiar face surrounded by a perfect halo of curls - it was Brian May, from your biology class, the one that you had developed feelings for as you worked together on a class project and didn't have the guts to tell him how you felt, so you started to see less and less of him after graduation, slowly saddening your heart, as perhaps you still felt the same way about him.

You watched his eyes slowly drift down to meet yours and you seen his expression change from vacant as he recognised you. Your stomach fluttered, though you didn't want to admit it.

"H-hi (y/n)! How've you been?" Brian spoke awkwardly as colour rose in his cheeks and his smile grew. Was this a sign?

"I've been good, Brian! It's so nice to see you! What can I get you?" You grinned back.

"Two cups of tea, please. One Earl Grey and one English Breakfast."

You made the cups of tea before carrying them back on a tray to Brain, where he paid you. He picked up the tray and went to sit down, leaving you to kick yourself for not saying anything more to him, and for making the entire interaction so awkward, and of course leaving you hoping that this wouldn't be the last time you seen him. Perhaps you were pining after someone who was taken. You hadn't spoken to him since June and now it was July, and with someone as gorgeous as Brian, there was no saying if he was taken or not.

For the rest of the day, you were unable to fully concentrate on what you were supposed to be doing, with Brian keeping re-entering your mind, making you smile.