Charming's New Girl

"Hidden"
The bus ride is long, and completely packed full of women,men, and children. Keeping my hood up and my head down, no one has been able to see my beaten face. The bus should be arriving soon to Charming. My small bag sat in the empty seat beside me. A packed as little as I could so he wouldn't think I left, just that I was at work. Like a usual day. A baby cries as the bus comes to a complete stop and I gather my bag and phone, following the people in front of me off the greyhound. The first thing to hit me was the hot breeze, I toss my book bag onto my shoulder. And decide to head to Teller- Morrow, where Gemma told me to go and she'd be in the office working. I hadn't seen Gemma since I was 16, and that was at my dads funeral. I didn't see my dad much, sometimes he'd drive up to Ohio during the summers, but that was only ever few years. My dad was murdered, and they never found the person who did it, and I didn't stay long in Charming. Not really knowing anything about the town, that's when I first met Gemma. And I hadn't been back since. But she gave me her number and told me if I ever needed anything, she'd help. I'm thankful she kept that promise.

People have been giving me dirty looks since I've been walking to the garage. Trying to remember the exact way Gemma told me to go if I drove myself. But, I could walk. That wasn't an issue and I like to clear my head. I'm a very active person. Always run to clear my head, but my body was too weak for that right now. I was a track and soccer star in high school and I guess the running and staying in shape just stuck.

"Hi, can I help you?" I was greeted by a mechanic working at the garage once I walked onto the lot. I saw a long line of bikes parked, a clubhouse, and the garage. I didn't know much about Gemma or her life. And I wasn't one to judge. Clearly.

"Ah yeah, I'm looking for Gemma? I'm supposed to be meeting her here?" The sentence came out in almost a question. The young guy nods and smiles at me.

"Sure thing, she's in the clubhouse. I'll get her for you, you can wait in the office if you'd like." I nod, and with that he turns and heads for the clubhouse. Looking around, I saw a lot of women in barely any clothing hanging around a group of men and I'm guessing their the owners of the bikes. I've sat down on the small couch type thing and picked at my long nails painted red. The nail polished chipped on most and I usually pick at it when I'm nervous. I wait a few moments before I hear a set of heels enter the room.

"Sarah?" Looking up, Gemma looks the same as she did 10 years ago and I nod.

"Hi Gemma." Standing up, she eyed my small frame and a worrisome look developed on her face. She reached forward and pulled my sunglasses off and I kept my head up but diverted my attention to the ground.

"Who did this to you ?" I didn't tell Gemma why I needed help. I just told her I needed to go somewhere I'd be safe.

"My husband." Her eyes grew wide and she opened her mouth but didn't know what to say, so she hands me back my sunnies and I slid them back on quickly before any could see my black eye.

"Jesus Christ." She sighs, placing her hands on her hips and looks at me as I sit back down, weak from walking.

"I'll get Jackson to take you to your dads house. Keys in the statue by the door." I grew anxious. When she saw whomever she was waiting for, she got his attention.

"Jackson, Come here." I heard heavy foot steps and then a blonde haired man walks into the office and doesn't really pay me much mind at first.

"Sarah needs a ride home. Mike Bakes house." His eye brow raised at the sound of my fathers name. But doing as he was told.

"Sure thing ma, come on darlin" I stand and gather my bag over my shoulder before touching Gemmas arm, showing her I appreciated such kindness towards me. I followed him to a bike, second in line from the end. He handed me a helmet and waited for me to get on behind him before starting it up. The roar it made reminded me of my fathers. My dad used to take me on rides around the block whenever I asked because I loved the vibration and the sound of the roar when you hit 60 an hour. The ride was short, and once we reached the house that I'd seen last when I was 16 and boxing up my fathers things. I got off the bike and handed my helmet back to Jackson.

"Bates was a good guy, you know him?" He asked. Trying to figure out who I was.

"He's my dad." I nod. Walking away and towards the house, bending down and grabbing the key from under the woman statue. "Thanks for the ride Jackson." Soon I heard the roar of his bike again and I knew in fact I was alone. The first time in 10 years I wouldn't be beaten after dinner.