4.

"I guess that's everything."

I stared at the open trunk of the SUV where a total of five boxes were packed one on top of the other.

My clothes, books, pictures, toys, trinkets... pieces of my life, all neatly contained in a few boxes. Memories, lessons, dreams... stashed in a few items.

Happy times, with long gone laughters still echoed in the items that had a connection with these events. Happy times that turned to happy memories overnight, never again to see the daylight. Happy times that ended too soon... too soon for me atleast. Too soon to fade, too soon to be forgotten.

"Did we forget anything?" My aunt May spoke once more. I shook my head. The plaster on my forehead still covered the gash I got after I lost consciousness in the livingroom. Six stitches held the awfully painful wound close, but did nothing to keep the sadness out.

"Alright then, lemme just lock up. Then we'll be on our way." She said. Aunt May had this sad expression on her face as she looked at me. I just nodded, unable to meet her gaze.

She left, sighing, to lock the house my mom and dad left me. A house that was suddenly too big for a little kid like me. An empty house that reflected its new owner's heart... that is now just as empty.

I stood on the sidewalk. The morning sun shone brightly that day, but I felt a chill run through my body. I felt cold. So cold after my parents died and left me.

"You're leaving?" A soft voice made me turn around. It was Melina. She lived two houses down the street where we stood. Her pretty face gave me a timid smile.

"Yes." I answered. Whispered actually.

"Look, I know it's a little too late, but for whatever it's worth you know you have friends here who care about you... me included. I'm sorry about your folks, if you need someone to talk to you know you can come to me, right?"

"Thanks." I closed the trunk shut, feeling my eyes water.

"Will you be gone for long? My family and I can check on your house for you if you'd like?" She offered.

"Mr. Cross, the next door neighbor will be acting as the caretaker while I'm away. But thank you." I replied, pulling the hood of my jacket over my plaster.

"I see. Well, you know my number. If there's anything my family and I could do for you don't hesitate to ask. Ok?" I nodded.

"Hey Mel, you guys ok?" Her older brother Melvin stopped his bike next to us. He had a grocery bag with a carton of milk, and a tray of eggs, safely placed on the basket between the bars.

"Morgan's leaving. I asked him if there was anything we could help him with." Melina replied, she started to fiddle with the dainty scarf she had around her neck.

"Look Mathews, I'm sorry about your folks. They were really good people. Your dad was the best coach the school ever had. He will be missed. They both will be missed." Melvin placed his right hand on my shoulder, and my eyes started to tear up again.

"Oh no. Don't cry. It's gonna be ok. You'll get through this. You'll be fine. It'll be fine. Take this trip. Then come back to us. We'll be waiting for you. This town loves your mom and dad... and we all love you too." Melina said hugging me as she too wept.

"Sorry to interrupt you guys, but Morgan and I really need to get going. It's kind of a long drive. We'll come visit soon though." Aunt May said as she came down the stairs of the patio to join us on the sidewalk.

"Come back to us Mathews. Take the time to heal, then come back to us. This is your home, you hear? Feel better soon. And don't forget us." Melvin enveloped me in a tight bear hug, and we gave each other a warm group hug.

Melina, Melvin, and I slowly let go of each other, the group hug ended too soon, and thereafter I found myself looking at the rearview mirror, as the SUV rolled farther away.

The waving figures of the Milton siblings grew smaller and smaller in the distance... their sad smiles the last things I saw of the town I loved, but had to let go of.

It would be ten years after that day when I would find myself coming back to my old house, and old neighborhood. Ten long years for me to finally move on from the pain of losing my parents. Ten years to finish my studies, and graduate with flying colors. Ten years for me to learn to smile again, and laugh in an attempt at masking the sorrow.

But those ten years did nothing to erase the old memories of the town I loved, and the people I cared for. People I shared a bond with strengthened by memories, time, friendship... and old special feelings.