Chapter 1

Escape

I'm unconsciously lying on the grass again. Trying to control myself and trying help her. Based on what I've observed with my other siblings, they were dying from pain and torture. Dying of hunger, pain, agony, I didn't even know how to describe the cruel abuse shown in my parents. For them, we were born useless, even when I tried to make a move, they would notice and it pisses them. Punching me ceaselessly.

My parents sold her to a merchant and became a slave. That was the last time I saw her. Her eyes full of sorrows and lifeless all the time. I couldn't help it. I'm the only living child now, my other siblings were dead. I escaped, without anyone noticing. I continued to run, until it was night time. I didn't care, I continued to run away. I will finally escape hell.

My body was weak and I stared to get exhausted from running. I bumped to a man, wearing a yellow to white gradient haori. The time he turned around, I was unconscious.

I woke up lying in a comfy futon. I wondered, where am I? I looked around the room, I saw the man once again. He talked to a talking crow. How? The man felt that I was awake and walked towards me.

"Hello, young man. What's your name?" He asked kneeling down.

When I was still young, my parents were joyful and caring. They taught me plenty of things. That's when I knew how to read and write. But because they didn't pay their debts, they started to change. That's when they became abusive. They gave birth to my siblings to see if they will have use in them, but they didn't. They sold them to have money. I escaped the torture. I don't want to experience it again, never.

"I am Tsuyoi, I don't know my family name." I answered.

The man smiled and handed me his hand.

"I am Tsuyuri Yasashi. Nice to meet you, Tsuyoi." He shaked my hand.

"Say, why is a young man out in the night?" Yasashi asked.

"I was escaping from my parents. They were abusive and I don't want to suffer again." I answered.

That's when I realized, I smell fresh and my wounds had been patched up. This man might treated me. He is pure and kind hearted.

"Poor you, your parents are pathetic. But don't worry, I will take care of you from now on. I want you to stay in my house, especially at night as I won't be here during that time since I'm going to slay some mythical creatures. Don't also worry about them, I will protect you, no matter what. It is my duty to protect people from evil." Yasashi said and smiled, patting my head.

"Thank you, Yasashi-san. I won't forget this. I owe you my life when I'm going strong." I said. Yasashi smiled genuinely.

"That's okay, if you want to ask something, don't hesitate to come to me. I will be around you, watching you, and protecting you." Yasashi said.

"You mentioned something about 'mythical creatures'. What creatures are they exactly?" I asked. Since he mentioned about creatures, I was curious.

"They are called demons. Man-eating demons to be exact. They devour humans and consume them in order to become stronger. They show up at nighttime and hide during daytime. They are powerful and they live eternally. They have special powers and abilities, most were used to quickly fasten their work in consuming humans, but they most use their power in defeating our organization. We, the demon slayers, are responsible for killing them so that they won't steal every human life." Yasashi explained.

"Demon Slayers? So you basically kill demons for peace? Cool!" I said excitedly as I tried to forget about my past.

"I would like to ask a favor of you." Yasashi asked and smiled.