38 | you are naive

Start from the beginning

"Oh, bite me." She mutters. "You told him I'm a fucking librarian and that I'm searching for a new job! It's like direct catfishing!"

I had to lie to him because with Joy I'm at risk of revealing my secret life. Yoongi can never find out that I'm a part time stripper. Who knows what he'll think of me. Or even worse he willq feel sorry for me and will want to help me out of my financial crisis. The last thing I want from my best friend is his pity.

"Okay, now giving him false information about your profession isn't catfishing Joy. He knows that you're actually an attractive woman instead of a seventy year old creep. " I say jokingly to lighten the mood and she flashes me a murderous look. It kind of scares me if I'm being honest.

"You're not telling me the whole story." Joy says. "This event at the Empire isn't even half of what is really going on. You're hidding something Elena and I don't like it."

"I'm not hiding anything." I say coolly. Maybe I didn't mention the fact that Jungkook knows my other identity. But that is only for the sake of keeping my secret safe. I can't have Joy confront Jungkook.

"Not revealing the truth is the same thing as lying Elena." Joy mutters, her eyes half closed. "I'm here for you, you know that right? You can tell me anything. You know I won't judge you. I work at a sex shop for crying out loud. " She adds her hand finding mine.

How I wish things could be that simple. "You're the best J."

"I know bitch." She grins. "Now tell me what you see in that creepy ass boyfriend of yours."

"He's not my boyfriend!" I shriek.

"Now you sound like a fourteen year old who's in denial." Joy says. "Do you know what you remind me?" She asks.

Dear lord. "What?"

Joy's brows furrow and she places the roof of her hand on her forehead. "Forget it. It's bullshit."

"Come on! Don't leave me hanging." I whine.

"You won't like what I have to say." She pipes. "Becides it's not even accurate."

"I'm gonna die of curiosity here!" I insist my fists pounding the floor wooden floor.

"Curiosity kills the cat." Joy fires back. "If you die at least do it quietly."

"Joy!"

She laughs and I let out a giggle at the funny comeback. "Well, when the abusive husband beats his wife and she continues to take his side despite the fact that he's being a total asshole. You're the unlucky wife Elena and I don't like what is going on with you and Jungkook. If you decide that you want to be in a relationship with someone as cruel and ruthless as him I can't do anything about it. It's your life. I can't tell you how to live. " When we were at the Empire Hotel I thought that he was acting differently because of the alcohol, but he proved me wrong the same night when he tucked me under the covers on the bed. That's when I knew I could trust him.

My heart sinks at my stomach at what she said. Jungkook wouldn't raise a hand at me. He isn't that kind of person.

"It's evident that you two are toxic as hell. Like, when we were all outside his house and Yoongi came in to hug you, Jungkook immediately dragged you away from him and kissed you. There's something wrong with that guy Elena I hope you're aware of that."

I stare at her aghast. I haven't told her half of the things Jungkook did to me in the Golden Closet or at uni and she managed to jump into that conclusion with such little information. Damn, that knife sharp intuition. There are times when I think that I wouldn't want to have Joy as an enemy. Don't get me wrong, she is the best friend anyone would wish for. Selfless, compassionate, caring, outgoing, a little shy and a total badass. But if someone betrays her trust the only thing left to do is run or face her wrath. If we were sworn enemies, Joy would make my life a living hell.

"At least Jungkook isn't abusive or I would have called the cops." Joy slurs as I nervously play with the hem of my shirt. He didn't abuse me physically but he did fuck up my mental state. At least right now he's trying to make up for it. Right?

"He gave me time to think about us." I say lowly. "He didn't press me."

"Maybe," She shrugs "but he did kiss you to prove a point."

That's true, but I evaded it.

"He's possessive over you Elena." Joy says. "To think that he made you not talk to Jimin-"

"He told me not to have sex with Jimin." I correct her.

"Same thing. Trust me, when he sees you interacting with Jimin he will tell you to steer clear from him sooner or later." Joy says.

Knowing Jungkook that could actually happen. He is indeed possessive, selfish and manipulative. But I'm sure there's a solid reason why his tenacity knows no bounds. When we were together in my kitchen last week, I saw a side in him I haver never witnessed before. Underneath that ice cold exterior I discovered a soft version of Jungkook. He is awkward and he's capable of feeling emotions deeply. The environment he grew up in was toxic since he was neglected by his father and abused by his stepmother. All of that pain in his childhood years created a permanent scar. He has suffered and he's damaged but I know that there's good in him. I can feel it. I don't want to give up on him, now that I know that there's more to the story. Jungkook opened up to me. He talked to me about one of the most excruciating moments of his life even though it was extremely hard. He trusted me and I'm willing to help him if he lets me.

"I know that you're telling me this for my own good." I say to Joy. "But when he's with me he's an entirely new person. He told me things about his fam-past. And there's a reason why he's the way he is."

"Elena..." Joy starts. "Let's say that Jungkook is indeed different around you. But what if its all an act? What if when you finally surrender, he alters back to the cruel persona he had in the beginning?"

I have considered that. I still don't trust Jungkook entirely but something deep inside me just knows that he is genuine.

"I'll be careful." I say.

"You better." Joy retorts and grabs a bag of chips from the coffee table. "You're naive Elena and vulnerable too and that makes it easy for other assholes to take advantage of you. You need to stop focusing on your emotions and start using your head. "

Tell me something I don't already know.