"Just because they're not very pretty, it doesn't mean they're not useful," Hermione snapped. "Dragon blood's amazingly magical, but you wouldn't want a dragon for a pet, would you?"

     At that, Tessa swiveled around to meet gazes with Draco who sent her a look. I honestly don't see the point of these . . . things. They keep threatening me with their stingers, too. He pushed his sleeves higher up his elbows to keep from slipping and getting stained with frog liver.

     She rolled her eyes at him. Don't be such a crybaby. Be nice to Hagrid, or I'll gift these to you on Christmas instead of more pretty sunflower seeds.

     Suffice to say, Draco quietly worked throughout the remaining of the class.

     "Well, at least the skrewts are small," Ron said as they made their way back up to the castle for lunch.

     "They are now," Hermione said exasperatedly, "but once Hagrid's found out what they eat, I expect they'll be six feet long."

     "Well, that won't matter if they turn out to cure seasickness or something, will it?" Ron said slyly.

     "You know perfectly well I only said that to shut Malfoy up. As a matter of fact I think he's right. The best thing to do would be to stamp on the lot of them before they start attacking us all."

     Tessa let out a dramatic gasp. "Did I hear that right? Hermione actually agreeing with something Draco said? Goodness — the world must be ending!"

     Hermione scrunched her nose up at her and said nothing as they sat down and started to help themselves to lamb chops and potatoes. She started to wolf down her food, leaving Harry and Ron staring wide-eyed at her.

     "Hey, The Girl Who Lived To Eat," Ron called over to Tessa who sat on the other side of Harry. He jutted a thumb to Hermione. "Is this her new stand on elf rights? She's going to make herself puke instead?"

     "No," Hermione said, her mouth bulging with sprouts. She didn't notice the face Tessa made at her talking with her mouth full. "I just want to get to the library."

     "What?" Ron cried out in disbelief. "Hermione — it's the first day back! We haven't even got homework yet!"

     She shrugged and scarfed down everything else on her plate. "See you at dinner!" Hermione waved at them as she bolted out of the Great Hall.

     "I don't know how she can only manage to eat one plate of something so delicious," Tessa tutted to herself. Her brother snorted and slid over some more lamb chops to her.

     When the bell rang, the three of them set off to Professor Trelawney's classroom. They entered and sat in their same circular table. "Good day," Trelawney's misty voice said from behind them, making Harry jump and knock his knee against Tessa's.

     Trelawney appeared, her glasses bigger and rounded than ever as she peered at Harry.

     "You are preoccupied, my dear. My inner eye sees past your brave face to the troubled soul within. And I regret to say that your worries are not baseless. I see difficult times ahead for you, alas . . . most difficult . . . I fear the thing you dread will indeed come to pass . . . and perhaps sooner than you think . . . "

     Tessa and Ron shared an eye roll as Trelawney strode to the front of the room.

     "My dears, it is time for us to consider the stars," she said. "The movements of the planets and the mysterious portents they reveal only to those who understand the steps of the celestial dance. Human destiny may be deciphered by the planetary rays, which intermingle . . ."