Graveyards

Today I went with a group of friends to a graveyard as part of a clean up project for All Souls Day.

They were joking around, and scaring each other, and hardly paying any attention to their surroundings.

Eventually one of my friends, lets call him Eddie, got fed up and walker off on his own. One of the girls started shrieking at him to come with us because we had the trash bag but he still decided to go off on his own.

I hesitated. I could go with Eddie, who quiet and reverent and gently touching the graves, or after the people who were just being stupid and irreverent.

I chose to go with Eddie and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. We wandered among the graves and made up stories about the people, and laid wildflowers on the unmarked graves which where just slabs of stone. We talked quietly about our families, and even about how we wanted to be buried.

When I look down from heaven in a hundred years, maybe at my body in an unmarked grave. I would love to see someone laying daisies on my tomb even if it was a strange young woman.

When I laying my last flower on a grave I turned back and say one of the girls I had gone with. She asked what I was doing, then told me it was stupid to lay flowers on someone who I didn't know and wasn't related to.

Then she picked up and threw away all the wildflowers we had laid.

I was shocked, and sad. We talked with one woman who looked after the graveyard and she told us that every-time you remember someones grave their soul gives you a blessing. I think it was one souls blessing to have me walk after Eddie.

We went eat together after and while we were waiting in line for food, Eddie leaned over in and whispered in my ear, "That was so peaceful and amazing. Thank you."

Please respect graveyards. They can give some of the most amazing stories, like our spy Maxine, and the miracle working doctor, John.

Love 

Zoey

#AllSoulsDay

#Graves

#Reverence

#Remembrance