twelve

HELLO !! I just wanted to apologize for not publishing lately, I am going to try and get on a schedule but October has been super crazy for me!! So please forgive me!! I'm going to sit down and back log some chapters so you can read regularly. Anyways, I love you all so much, you've been so amazing.

Grace

I never wear heels to work, only on days that we have meetings and, of course, today. The day that I was supposed to sit in my office all day to do paperwork and study case files, I wore heels. Because who would've guessed that I'd be running around the black site with a gun in my hand. Me. I should have guessed.

The feeling of pulling a trigger and killing someone with my heels thrown carelessly on the floor next to me is indescribable. It's not the first time I killed someone, but it still hurts knowing that I just ended someone's life. For a moment I wonder what kind of life he lived. Will someone miss him? Did he have kids? A wife?

As soon as his body dropped to the floor, I let out a breath I didn't know that I was holding.

Harry places his hand on the small of my back as a comfort to the fact, but the thought that I'd be dead, we all would be dead, right now if he wasn't was all that I needed to push it to the back of my mind. I send him a small smile to tell him that I'm okay. Cooper hands Harry another gun that I probably wouldn't be able to name even if it was being held to  my head. Harry loads the gun with ease like a child tying a shoe. Cooper closes the door to the armory and begins to radio off site.

"This is hatchling 19973, the black site has been breached. Destroy all data on site and reload, I repeat, this is hatchling 19973, the black site has been breached."

He takes a deep breath after he lets go of the button and hands both Harry and I a radio.

"What do you plan to do?" Harry asks, clipping the radio to the strap of his gun on his chest. One thing that I admire about Cooper is that he manages to stay calm even in extreme situations like this. If he's not calm, he's doing a damn good job at pretending to be.

"Barricade ourselves in the armory, I've radioed a code. The attackers have the high ground," he said.

The alarm has stopped by now and the ringing in my ears from the loud sound is long gone too, but the site remains lit with eerily red emergency lights. Harry's hands are behind his back as he paces back and forth, eyebrows furrowed, jaw clenched. I glance between Harry and Cooper, watching as Harry paces and Cooper stares absentmindedly at the floor. I assume he is coming up with a plan right now.

We always practice for procedures like this, run through them until we can do them in our sleep, but no amount of practice can prepare you for the real thing. They don't practice the anxiety or the adrenalin that fogs your brain. A part of me keepings waiting for the loud voice over the intercom telling us "Good work everyone," but it never comes.

A voice echoes from the radio, but I can't make out what they're saying. Harry stops pacing and Cooper seems to come back to reality.

"Repeat," Harry said.

"Hatchling 38599, I've been hit. Im in the corridor on the west wing of the building. Bullet through and through on my thigh,"

I recognize the voice as Hunter's despite the hushed mumbles and shaky tone. I whip my head around when the door squeaks open, barely catching a glimpse of Harry's curls exiting through the metal doorway. I lunge forward to follow him, but Cooper grabs my wrist and stops me. The way he looks down at me with disapproval reminds me of my father and I know he's silently telling me that it's stupid, and I know it is, but I can't help to worry about Harry leaving the safety of this room to help Hunter, the person who hates his guts the most.