Memories

I was looking at my outfits laid out on my bed figuring out what I wanted to wear when my phone rang. I answered and was greeted with screaming from my childhood friend, Yuffie. "Yuffie! Your going to break my eardrums if you continue to scream!" I yelled back. "Oh come one Kairi! Your finally back after all these years and not only back, but actually staying this time. I mean it may not be in Radiant Gardens where you actually use to live, but oh well, we moved to St. Destiny a few years back." I was somewhat listening to her as I was getting dressed in my ripped black jean shorts and red tank top. "Yuffie, I'm sorry I need to go....my mom and I have a date to Radiant Gardens," I said knowing Yuffie would understand what I meant. We said our goodbyes promising we'd talk and hangout later.

I went downstairs to meet up with my mom just finishing up making breakfast. We ate and Dean went to work first before we left. We parked the car at the docks parking lot and got on a boat heading to Radiant Gardens. During the boat ride my mom talked about our home back then. At the time my mother was just starting out as a designer, she was still reaching for her dreams. My real father, Kris, was a firefighter and they loved each other very much. The Captain of the ship announced we'd dock at Radiant Gardens in a few minutes. My mother and I gathered are things, made sure we had everything before we got off the boat. We took a taxi to an off road that was gated off limits to the public. After the taxi left, my mother grabbed my hand, and pulled me towards a hidden trail. I felt like we had walked for hours and I was about to ask that we should rest a bit, but she stopped a few meters from me.

"Kairi, come here," she said and I walked right next to her and looked where she was staring. There in the distance beyond the fence was a house falling apart. It looked run down and old, but with a closer look you can tell it had gone through a devastating fire. "Mom?" I questioned. "That was our house back then, it was a house full of laughter...One day I was working late, I had thought your father was suppose to be home early that day, but Kei was the one watching you by himself, you were only two, He was twelve...he protected you like any older brother would even if that meant he would die. Your father was there to get both of you, but Kei threw you to him so both of you could get out. He left him to take you to safety and went back for Kei, but after a couple minutes they never came out...later when the fire was put out your father was found hugging Kei, they were crushed, they said it was a quick death for the both of them, but everyday I have felt that if I had been there or made sure someone was there other than your brother, all of us would still be here," my mother explained through all her tears. I was holding her, crying too. I was too young to remember any of what happened and all I could do was hold my mother while she cried.